Vincent Scully, the brilliant Yale art history prof who gets so excited during his lectures that he has fallen off the podium and ripped many a projection screen with his pointer, delivers the first of a series of six lectures on "The Shape of France" Jan. 23 in the National Gallery of Art's East Building Auditorium.

Very few basketball teams in the collegiate universe can play run and gun with District of Columbia. Many have tried; few have succeeded and Sacred Heart did not succeed last night.

The Pioneers from Bridgeport, Conn., a good running team averaging 87 points per game, couldn't keep up with fast-breaking UDC and lost roundly, 104-87, before 2,350 at the UDC Physical Activities Center.

As usual, UDC (12-2), winner of all 23 games played at its 1 1/2-year-old facility, was led by Earl Jones--32 points, 16 rebounds and five blocks--and Michael Britt--26 points, 14 rebounds and five assists. The Firebirds also enjoyed good efforts from Johnny Jones (10 points), Neal Robertson (10) and Hawkeye Daniels (12).

"When we run like this, no one can beat us," said Jones, who arrived at 1,500 career points. "Everything we did worked. They tried to run with us and had a few fast breaks. But we had a couple more."

So many more, in fact, UDC Coach Wil Jones admitted he shed tears of joy at halftime.

"We executed so well, I cried," he said. "We must have run 25 fast breaks and on most of them we had five people down court. I felt real good about this game. We beat a good team."

UDC threatened to extinguish Sacred Heart (6-3) early, jumping to a 14-7 lead. But the hustling Pioneers got two breakaway baskets and an 18-footer from Rick Clark and a dunk from Rhonie Wright for a 22-22 tie with 7:14 left in the half.

The rest of the half, which ended 54-35, was a clinic for Firebird fans and a horror show for the Pioneers.

After each Pioneer miss, Jones or Britt would rebound and get off the outlet pass for the break.

"We had trouble stopping them," Sacred Heart Coach Dave Bike recapped. "They shoot over you. They're the best Division II team in the country."

The lead swelled to as many as 23 points in the second half.