We inaugurate a new end-of-the-month feature today: Bob's Bulletin Board, a compendium of community events and announcements.
* TENNIS: The 23rd Washington Area Tennis Patrons' Association annual mixed doubles tournament will run from Sept. 24 through Oct. 15. The finals feature a reception at the home of the Swedish ambassador. Proceeds help support youth tennis throughout the area. Further information: 429-0661.
* WHEELCHAIR PAGEANT: The 1983-4 Miss Wheelchair Maryland Pageant will be held in Baltimore on Oct. 1. Any state resident between 21 and 60 who uses a wheelchair full-time is eligible. Entry deadline is Sept. 1. Further information: Fred Neil at 366-8800.
* VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: The Mount Pleasant Thrift Shop (3165 Mount Pleasant St. NW.) provides employment for the residents of Woodley House, a Northwest Washington halfway house for mental health patients. The shop is looking for donations of saleable items and jobs for graduating participants. Further information: Laura Huennekens at 265-1629.
* OPERA: The Friends of the Washington Civic Opera are looking for volunteer office staff, office space and office equipment. The organization's address is P.O. Box 14065, Washington, D.C. 20044.
* STAFFERS AVAILABLE: Georgetown University student interns are available to work (for pay or not) in congressional offices, law firms, media or corporate offices and social service or public interest headquarters. Further information: Kirk Nahra at 625-3027.
* BOOK FAIR: The Association of Foreign Service Women is gearing up for its annual book fair, scheduled this year for Oct. 22-29 at the State Department. Books, records, maps, stamps and art objects are being collected throughout September. Volunteers will be glad to pick them up. All donations are tax deductible and receipts will be given on request. Funds from the fair benefit a scholarship fund run by the association, as well as a number of charities within the District. To arrange a pickup, or for further information, call 223-5796 between 9:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
* GODDARD HOMECOMING: All Goddard Space Flight Center alumni and retirees are invited to a party Sept. 28 from 4:30 until 11 p.m. Dinner is $8 per person. Reservations must be received by Sept. 17. Make checks payable to "GEWA" and mail them to GRAA, P.O. Box 163, Seabrook, Md. 20706. Further information: Peggy Becker, 474-7987.
* FOLK FESTIVAL: Takoma Park's sixth annual cultural celebration will be held Sept. 11 from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m. Music, dancing, children's activities and crafts are featured. Proceeds from food sales will benefit the Takoma Park Repertory Company and other community organizations. The fair will be held rain or shine at Takoma Park Junior High School, Piney Branch Road and East-West Highway. Further information: Nancy Young at 585-3343.
* AIRPORT BIRTHDAY: College Park Airport will host Air Fair '83 on Sept. 10 and 11. Biplanes, hot air balloons, helicopters and dozens of more conventional aircraft will be on display. A special fireworks show will be held Sept. 10 at 9 p.m. Aviation movies, performances by armed services bands and a commemorative stamp cancellation are also scheduled. Further information: John Barney at 864-5844.
* SENIOR OLYMPICS: The Northern Virginia Senior Olympics will be held from Sept. 12-16 at Wakefield Park in Annandale. Any Northern Virginia resident 55 years of age or older is eligible. Entry fee is $1. Events include basketball, bicycling, billiards, bowling, bridge, canasta, checkers, chess, dancing, dominoes, horseshoes, table tennis, racquetball, shuffleboard, swimming, track and field and tennis. Preregistration is encouraged. Further information: 558-2672.