Nonprofit shops with less stock available or with a more specific clientele include:
* National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception at Catholic University. Gifts with religious significance for all ages: rosaries from 75 cents to $300, including one made of olive wood from Jerusalem ($6.50); nativity sets, $4.95-$700; 14K gold crosses, including a Byzantine design as a remembrance of the Shrine's Byzantine chapel.
The Shrine Gift Shop, 4th Street and Michigan Avenue NE, Washington, D.C. 20017; (202) 526-4433; 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Monday-Sunday; MC, V, pch.
* Dumbarton Oaks. Examples of Byzantine, Roman and Pre-Columbian art are reproduced in cufflinks, earrings, pendants, necklaces and bracelets from the Dumbarton Oaks collection, $10-$40.
Dumbarton Oaks, 1703 32nd St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20007; (202) 342-3211; 2-5 p.m., Tuesday-Sunday; pch.
* Phillips Collection. Besides posters, cards, slides, art books and The Woman Artists Engagement Calendar ($6.95), there is a real find at the Phillips Collection: a silk scarf, $48, plucked from the canvas of the Matisse painting, "Interior With Egyptian Curtain."
The Phillips Collection, 1600-1612 21st St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20009; (202) 387-2151; 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Tuesday-Saturday; 2-7 p.m., Sunday; pch.
* Corcoran Gallery. Redoute's botanical prints framed with handpainted French mats, $90, limited-edition handblown Correia art glass, $90-$400, and Julie Lea's folk art, such as "Peaceable Wolf and Lamb," $190, and "Lion on Wheels," $150, make browsing in the Corcoran's new gift shop a visual respite in a holiday hustle.
The Corcoran Gallery of Art Gift Shop, 17th Street and New York Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20006; (202) 638-3211; 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Tuesday-Sunday; 10 a.m.-9 p.m., Thursday; AE, MC, pch.
* Textile Museum. All gifts are related ethnographically to the museum collection. Mice made, dressed and shod of handwoven fabric from Sri Lanka, $6.50-$8; a hand-painted and embroidered Japanese kimono from the '30s, $1,000; silk buttons, $6; ties and cravats for both women and men, $22.50-$32.50.
The Museum Shop, The Textile Museum, 2320 S St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20008; (202) 667-0441; 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Tuesday-Saturday; 1-5 p.m., Sunday; AE, CH, MC, V, pch.
* Folger Shakespeare Library. Brass-handled walking stick, $19.95; English pewter goblets, $29.95 each; videocassettes of "The Lion in Winter" and "West Side Story," $79.95 each; child's applique'd sleeping bag in brightly colored prints, $94.95.
Folger Shakespeare Library Gift Shop, 201 East Capitol St., Washington, D.C. 20003; (202) 544-4600; 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday-Saturday; AE, CH, MC, V, pch.