Many general agencies have information that can help parents find child care for their handicapped children. Among them:

District of Columbia The Washington Child Development Council, 387-0002, gives information and counseling on licensed centers and family day-care homes.

Family Friends, 635-5949, matches volunteers age 55 and over with chronically ill and disabled children under 12.

Maryland The Child Care Connection Inc., 279-1773, will send Montgomery County parents lists of child-care centers, school-age programs and summer camps.

The Prince George's County Department of Social Services, 341-3883, will send parents a computer print-out of registered day-care homes.

Virginia Alexandria Child Care Information Services, 838-0750, will mail parents a list of licensed centers and registered family day-care homes.

Alexandria Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities, Recreation for Special Needs Section, 998-5229, sponsors after-school and Saturday morning recreation programs for mentally retarded school-age children.

Arlington County Public Schools Extended Day Program, 558-2884, offers a wide variety of playtime activities, including sports, arts and crafts and dramatics.

Arlington County Division of Social Services, Child Care Office, 558-2969, will mail parents a directory of licensed child-care centers and family day-care centers.

Fairfax County Office for Children, 691-3175, will send parents computer printouts of licensed centers, preschools and day-care homes. The office also runs the School-Aged Child Care program.

Care for Persons with Special Needs (CAPS), 281-1974, a program of the Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board, is also available to residents of Arlington and Fairfax City.

Falls Church Department of Housing and Human Services, 241-5005, will mail parents a printed list of day-care homes and licensed centers.

Loudoun County Department of Social Services, 703-777-0360, will mail parents a list of licensed child-care centers and nursery schools.

Prince William County Department of Social Services, 703-361-4131, will mail parents a list of licensed centers and approved homes.