Nancy Reagan goes home to the White House this morning, just five days after surgery for breast cancer.

A beaming President Reagan made the announcement last night as he left the White House to join Mrs. Reagan for dinner in her Bethesda Naval Medical Center hospital room. "At 9:15 tomorrow morning, I will leave here to pick up Nancy and bring her home," he told reporters.

The news climaxed a day in which messages and flowers continued to pour in from well-wishers everywhere, including Soviet first lady Raisa Gorbachev.

Elaine Crispen, Mrs. Reagan's press secretary, said the wife of Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev sent a wicker basket of assorted flowers, including irises and carnations. Crispen said she did not know whether the message on the accompanying card referred to the forthcoming Reagan-Gorbachev summit meeting.

"I didn't read it, and I'm not going to preempt George Shultz's news," she said with a chuckle.

Secretary of State Shultz currently is in Moscow, where American and Soviet officials are expected to reach an agreement on the summit date. Earlier Crispen said the Reagans' Thanksgiving plans are on hold "until we hear back from Secretary Shultz."

Mrs. Reagan's first public event after her recuperation from the procedure known as a modified radical mastectomy will be on Nov. 10, when she and the president entertain Israeli President Chaim Herzog, who will be here on a state visit, at a White House dinner.

"Doctors told her it looked good," said Crispen. "The main thing is for her not to overdo it. It {Nov. 10} will be her first big full day."

Yesterday Mrs. Reagan received two visitors -- longtime friend and former aide Nancy Reynolds, and columnist George Will, who frequently takes the first lady out to lunch.

"Mrs. Reagan offered to buy him lunch but he couldn't stay," said Crispen, adding that Will missed out on wonton soup, cheese omelet with tomato sauce, and pineapple sorbet.

Between visitors, Mrs. Reagan tried to reach Ursula Meese, the wife of Attorney General Edwin Meese, to express her condolences over the death of the Meeses' 14-month-old grandson Andrew Scott Meese.

The first lady also wrote a note to Jessica McClure of Midland, Tex., the 18-month-old toddler who was rescued Friday from an abandoned well. The note accompanied a floppy-eared stuffed dog Mrs. Reagan was sending her.

The dog was part of the first lady's own gift menagerie, which also includes a Navy goat from the hospital's medical team and a red bear in a fur coat sent by Joe Theismann and Cathy Lee Crosby.

Crispen said Mrs. Reagan appeared ready to resume her daily journal entries because she feared one day was beginning to "to blend in with the next."

She said the first lady did not remember the president's comment -- "I know you don't feel like dancing, so let's hold hands" -- after she regained consciousness following Saturday's surgery. Nor did Mrs. Reagan remember her reply.

"The president and her stepbrother told her she said, 'Please don't let Bob Woodward in my hospital room.' I'm sure she made them swear on a stack of Bibles that she really said that," Crispen said. The reference was to Woodward's account in his new book, "Veil: The Secret Wars of the CIA," of a hospital bedside interview with the late CIA director William Casey.

Mrs. Reagan has kept busy reading her mail, but according to Crispen letter openers have been in short supply, "so we used knives out of the kitchen."

The cards and messages have ranged from a crayon drawing by a 6-year-old cancer victim to those from women sharing their breast cancer stories with Mrs. Reagan. In addition, there have been numerous notes from celebrities, including Burt Reynolds, Julie Eisenhower, Tony and Florence Randall, Coretta Scott King, Jimmy and Gloria Stewart and Portuguese first lady Maria Barroso Soares.

"It's been good for her to know how people feel. That has to make anyone feel better," Crispen said.