PHOENIX -- President Reagan and his wife Nancy, after "a very tearful night" for the first lady, flew here yesterday to make funeral arrangements for the first lady's mother, Edith Luckett Davis.

On their arrival at the Messinger Mortuary and Chapel, where the body of Mrs. Davis was taken following her death Monday at the age of 91, the president and Nancy Reagan received a sympathy card drawn by eighth graders from the nearby Our Lady of Perpetual Help School.

The yellow card, with pen and pencil signatures of the students, was dedicated to the first lady "with our love and sympathy."

The students, in their school uniforms, stood across the street from the funeral home and observed the president's motorcade as it arrived, as did hundreds of other residents.

Elaine Crispen, Nancy Reagan's press secretary, told reporters accompanying the Reagans flight west on Air Force One that the first lady was doing well following her breast cancer surgery Oct. 17 and required no medication.

"But on the other hand, she's still recovering," presidential spokesman Marlin Fitzwater added. "She spent a very tearful night," Crispen said. "It was not a good sleeping night."

Dr. John Hutton, the White House physician, said of Nancy Reagan: "She's fine." Asked if she was physically ready to travel, he replied, "Oh, absolutely."

The president was to return to Washington late yesterday and go back to Phoenix later this week for the funeral.

Mrs. Davis, a former actress who performed with such theatrical greats as George M. Cohan, died in her sleep Monday of a cerebral thrombosis, a blood clot in the brain that is a form of stroke, the White House said. She was the widow of neurosurgeon Loyal Davis, the first lady's stepfather, who died in August 1982 at age 86.

Crispen said all members of the Reagan and Davis families had been informed and that all the Reagan children except daughter Patti and her husband Paul Grilley, who "have other travel plans," would be in Phoenix for the funeral.

Crispen said that on one of Nancy Reagan's recent visits to Phoenix, Mrs. Davis had two small boxes packed up with "little treasures, little mementos" for Patti and son Ron, to be given to them on her death.