Q. I'd like to get into color enlarging. The Phillips 2000 isn't readily available, but it seems that their additive system is superior to others on the market. If I could locate one, should I buy it?

Or should I stick with black and white enlargements, and if color enlargements are needed use a commercial lab?

Also, would the Phillips black and white enlarger be a better instrument?

A. You're correct, the Phillips enlargers are no longer in production. I have been told that there are some used ones, and even several new ones, on sale from time to time.

Should you buy one? If that's the only thing you'd be satisfied with, sure, go ahead. But I must warn you, parts and maintenance may be hard to come by.

As for your ambivalence on whether on not to go into color enlarging, that's a question only you can answer. Sure, you can have a lot of prints made commercially for the cost of a color enlarging setup, but you sure can't have as much fun that way.

I have gone back to color printing at home, but haven't given up on black and white. With the proper color enlarger you can make black and white prints with ease.

As for equipment, I suggest that you look at both the Beseler and the Saunders LPL systems. Both have a wide range of machines, starting with a basic 35mm outfit to complex, multi-sized ones.

I use the Beseler 23XL enlarger with a dichroric filter head. I also have the Beseler analyzer, processing drums and motor base. All have proved very satisfactory.

Don't let yourself be wedded to the additive system. I have found the subtractive system easier to handle.

Q. I have a Phillips tri-color (PCS-150) enlarger, which is practically vibration-proof.

My problem, however, is that the bulb/lamp on the red channel has burned out and to date I have been unable to secure a replacement. While I can still use the unit for black and white work, at present I have no color capacity.

At the photo store, they tell me that the Phillips/Patterson line of enlargers is no longer being marketed in this country. But I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Saunders Group is now the U.S. distributor of these products.

The salesman suggested purchasing a well-known domestic model, but to me this is analogous to buying a new car if one of the headlights burned out. I just need a bulb. Any thoughts on this?

A. The Phillips enlarger, like other additive systems, uses three light sources covered by filters. The subtractive systems use one light source and combine filters to interrupt it.

I find myself somewhat in agreement with your salesperson about a new machine. In this case, it's more than a burned-out headlight, it's more like a burned-out transmission. After all, without that red channel, the enlarger won't make color prints.

Some time ago, Patterson, a British organization, bought the right to distribute Phillips enlargers from that Dutch company. Subsequently, the Saunders group became suppliers of parts.

I spoke to a Saunders representative and he suggested that you contact Saunders, at 21 Jet View Dr., Rochester, NY 14624. They may have some bulbs left.

Write Carl Kramer c/o Weekend, The Washington Post, 1150 15th St. NW, Washington, DC 20071.