Because of incorrect information from the Associated Press, the person who rescued Marilyn Quayle on a rafting expedition was misidentified in Style Thursday. Quayle's chief of staff said a Secret Service agent came to her aid. (Published 9/1/90)

Marilyn Quayle took an unintentional dip in the Colorado River last weekend.

Vice President Dan Quayle, Mrs. Quayle and several Secret Service agents were rafting down Lava Falls rapids in the Grand Canyon when they hit a 37-foot drop. Mrs. Quayle was struck in the chest by a blast of water from the impact and knocked out of the raft, her chief of staff said yesterday. John Reed, assistant superintendent of Grand Canyon National Park, pulled Mrs. Quayle, who was uninjured, back in.

"I think she continued the ride," the aide said, noting that white-water rafting is a Quayle family pastime.

Surgery for Nancy Reagan

Former First Lady Nancy Reagan underwent surgery yesterday at St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Minn., to remove a cancerous growth near her nose, according to Cathy Goldberg, a Reagan spokeswoman. The growth, known as a basal cell carcinoma, is commonly caused by exposure to the sun, and was discovered during a routine physical. Mrs. Reagan and former president Ronald Reagan, who have been at the hospital's Mayo Clinic since Monday for annual examinations, are otherwise said to be in excellent health.

The Rocker's White House Tour

Rock star Phil Collins made time for a little sightseeing in between his sold-out shows at Capital Centre Monday and Tuesday nights. He stopped by the White House Tuesday afternoon and got the special celebrity tour, which included a stroll on the south lawn to watch George Bush's helicopter bring him back from vacation. Because Bush was tied up with briefings, Collins couldn't visit the Oval Office, but he did get to see Vice President Dan Quayle's office in the Old Executive Office Building. He reportedly was quite impressed with the recent renovations, which returned the office to its Teddy Roosevelt-era style.

Finley's No-Show

Performance artist Karen Finley caused a bit more controversy Tuesday when she walked out of the taping of "Attitudes," a Lifetime cable station program. Finley apparently came onto the set during her introduction, didn't like what she saw on the prompters and refused to go on. Her manager, Michael Overm, said yesterday that "they changed the questions at the last minute to more sexist and misogynistic ones than those that were originally going to be used." The show's producer, Mark Lipinski, explained in a statement: "Censorship of the arts, especially regarding women's issues, is a topic that we feel is important to our audience. However, we must also be free to introduce our guests in a way that draws our viewers in."

Finley also has refused to emcee the Bessie Awards, the annual off-off-Broadway and performance art awards ceremony, because the Philip Morris Co. is a sponsor. The ceremony will take place Sept. 12 at the Brooklyn Academy of Music without Finley, who feels that the support Philip Morris gives to Sen. Jesse Helms is incompatible with the company's support for the arts. Helms is leading the Senate fight for stricter requirements for grants from the National Endowment for the Arts.

Clapton Silent on Vaughan

Guitarist Eric Clapton believes that the show must go on. In his performance Tuesday night at Sandstone Amphitheatre in Bonner Springs, Kan., Clapton made no mention of the Monday death of blues guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan in a helicopter crash, though he had been onstage with Vaughan less than 48 hours before. He had released a statement through his manager earlier in the day. Gus Fasone, manager of the amphitheater, said Clapton had refused all interviews and demanded that reporters and camera crews be barred from backstage. "The people around him, it's like they are in shock," Fasone said. "Backstage, it's like they aren't functioning, they're going through the motions."

No Tomorrows for Sandy

Sandy, the mutt that won the hearts of thousands in his role in the musical "Annie," died yesterday at age 16, said his owner and trainer, William Berloni. The mix of Airedale and Irish setter originated the role of Annie's faithful companion in the Goodspeed Opera House's 1976 production in Connecticut. He then followed the show to Broadway, performing its entire run from 1977 to 1983. Berloni had looked at more than 500 dogs for the part before finding the right Sandy at the Humane Society, one day before he was to be put to sleep. After the show closed on Broadway, Sandy retired. "It's interesting how one animal touched so many lives," Berloni said. "Annie and Sandy, wherever they went, really brought a lot of joy to people." -- Compiled from staff and wire reports by Eric Brace