Excerpts from "the first rough draft of history" as reported in The Washington Post on this date in the 20th century.

The Post gave banner coverage to the seemingly random killing of Georgetown socialite Mary Meyer along the C&O Canal in 1964. She was later identified as a paramour of President Kennedy, and her diary, found the day after her death, contained brief details of her liaisons with JFK. The diary was eventually destroyed in accordance with her wishes. Ray Crump, the man arrested for the murder, was later acquitted, and Meyer's death remains a mystery. An excerpt from The Post of Oct. 13, 1964:

By Alfred E. Lewis and Richard Corrigan

Staff Reporters

Mary Pinchot Meyer, a Georgetown artist with "a hundred thousand friends," was shot to death yesterday as she walked along the towpath of the C&O Canal. She had often walked the same path with Mrs. John F. Kennedy.

Mrs. Meyer, 43, was a niece of Gifford Pinchot, twice Governor of Pennsylvania and chief of the Forest Service under President Theodore Roosevelt. Her father, Amos Pinchot, a leader in the Bull Moose Party, was the brother of Gifford Pinchot.

Dressed casually in slacks and tennis sneakers, Mrs. Meyer was strolling along the towpath in yesterday's bright, sunny weather. At about 12:45 p.m. at the 4400 block of Canal rd., nw., she was shot twice by an attacker whose apparent motive was robbery.

Within an hour after the slaying, police arrested Raymond Crump Jr., 25, of 1908 Stanton Ter., SE. Crump was charged with homicide and arraigned before U.S. Commissioner Sam Wertleb, who ordered him held without bail.

The slaying was reported by a tow truck driver who heard a scream as he was driving along Canal Road. Looking across the canal, he saw a woman struggling with a man on the towpath.

The driver, Henry Wiggins, 24, jerked to a halt. He heard two screams as he got out of his truck and when he reached the retaining wall over the canal saw a man leaning over the woman.

The man stuffed something into his pocket, looked up at Wiggins and then raced down the embankment to the river. ...

Mrs. Meyer was identified at the D.C. Morgue eight hours later by her brother-in-law, Benjamin Bradlee, Washington bureau chief of Newsweek Magazine. ... Mrs. Meyer was a close friend of the John F. Kennedys from the days when Mr. Kennedy, then a Senator from Massachusetts, lived near her N Street studio.