That "wascally wabbit" joins the National Symphony Orchestra in an evening of live music and classic cartoons on indoor and outdoor screens at "Bugs Bunny on Broadway" Friday and Saturday at 8:30 at Wolf Trap Park, 1551 Trap Rd., Vienna. "What's Opera, Doc?," "Pigs in a Polka" and "Baton Bunny" are among the highlights. Tickets cost $28 to $38 in the Filene Center, $18 on the lawn, from
Tickets.com. To order, call 703-218-6500; for information, call
Fair Day on the Farm
* Explore livestock displays, horse and tractor pulls, an antique car show, exhibits, amusement rides and games and live entertainment at the annual Howard County Fair opening Saturday and continuing through Aug. 14 at the Howard County Fairgrounds, 2210 Fairgrounds Rd., West Friendship. The grounds are open daily from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.; the rides and games open Saturday at noon, Sunday through Aug. 13 at 1 p.m. and Aug. 14 at 11 a.m. Admission is $4, seniors $2, under age 10 free. Call 410-442-1022.
* The 56th annual 4-H Fair and Frying Pan Park Farm Show hosts farm animal displays, milking and grooming demonstrations, educational exhibits, crafts competitions, pet shows, entertainment, contests, children's rides and food vendors Saturday and Sunday from 9 to 5 at Frying Pan Park, 2709 W. Ox Rd., Herndon. The King and Queen of the Fair will be crowned Saturday at 10. Admission is free. Call 703-324-5369 or 703-437-9101.
* In its first visit to the United States, the Korea National Ballet Company dances "Swan Lake," choreographed by Yuri Grigorovich, Friday and Saturday at 8 in the Center for the Arts Concert Hall at George Mason University, 4400 University Dr., Fairfax. Tickets cost $35 to $100, with student and senior discounts, from Tickets.com. To order, call 703-218-6500 (service charges added); for information, call 703-941-8003.
* Fabian Barnes's Washington Reflections Dance Company stages contemporary choreography by Donald Byrd, Thaddeus Davis and Hinton Battle Friday and Saturday at 7:30 at the Lincoln Theater, 1215 U St. NW (Metro: U Street-Cardozo). The concert is a benefit for the Dance Institute of Washington. Tickets cost $15 to $35 from Ticketmaster. To order, call 202-397-7328 (service charges added); for information, call 202-371-9656.
* In two free shows at Carter Barron Amphitheatre, in Rock Creek Park at 16th Street and Colorado Avenue NW, Dance Institute of Washington students perform Friday at 7:30, and Train Wreck Dance Co., Coyaba Dance Theater, Shizumi Kodomo Dance Troupe and JazzDanz/DC dance Saturday at 7:30. No tickets are needed. Call 202-426-0486.
Free Sounds Around Town
* In an "All-Star Salute to Charlie Byrd," his brother Joe Byrd, Chuck Redd and other friends and musical compatriots pay tribute to the late jazz guitarist Saturday at 7:30 at the Reston Town Center Pavilion, Reston Parkway and New Dominion Drive, Reston, as part of the free weekly Concerts on the Town series. The Uptown Vocal Jazz Quartet opens the show. No tickets are needed. Call 703-912-4062.
* Still billing itself modestly as "the wickedest band alive," pioneering D.C. go-go band Rare Essence plays Wednesday at 7:30 outdoors at Strathmore Hall Arts Center, 10701 Rockville Pike, North Bethesda (Metro: Grosvenor-Strathmore), as part of the weekly "Washington Timeline" series. No tickets are needed. Call 301-530-0540.
Look Out for Leprechauns
The annual Alexandria Irish Festival celebrates all things Irish Saturday from noon to 7 at Waterfront Park, on the Potomac between King and Prince streets in Old Town Alexandria. Local musicians, pipe bands and dance troupes will entertain all day, artisans will sell Celtic crafts and vendors will sell Irish and American foods. Admission is free. Call 703-237-2199.
Don't Expect Samples
More than 1,000 decorative cakes and other showpieces will be on display this weekend at the Sugar Art Gallery during the 29th annual International Festival of Sugar and International Cake Exploration Society convention at the Washington Hilton, 1919 Connecticut Ave. NW. The gallery will be open Saturday from 9 to 5 and Sunday from 10 to 5. Admission is $10; proceeds go to the Hospital for Sick Children. Call 202-797-4830.
Five sons of late reggae legend Bob Marley -- Ziggy, Stephen, Julian, Damien and Ky-Mani -- headline the Roots Rock Reggae Festival Sunday at 2 at Wolf Trap Park, 1551 Trap Rd., Vienna. Toots & the Maytals, Slightly Stoopid, Looner and Stone Love are also on the bill. Tickets cost $38 in the Filene Center, $25 on the lawn, from Tickets.com. To order, call 703-218-6500 (service charges added); for information, call 703-255-1860.
-- Compiled by Barry Barriere