Time to move the windbreakers, sun hats and garden clogs out of the hall closet. The trick this season is to stay warm and fetching.
* Warmness doesn't have to equal bulk. Down vests provide heat, not girth, and are made for layering.
* Fur -- both authentic and not -- keeps body parts toasty. "One of the best ways to look stylish and keep warm this fall is with great fur accents," says Agnes Cammock of Suede magazine, a fashion and beauty glossy geared toward woman of color. "Nowadays there's so many options. . . . Great bright oversized hats, wonderful scarves, sweaters with trim, even cool bags and boots" in both fake fur and real.
* Don't forget the little guys. House socks keep toes toasty. Trapper hats are manly and keep ears from frostbite.
* Invest in smart pieces. Coach's Marcus boots are suitable for sub-zero trekking and fine restaurant dining. The sturdy nylon with suede and leather trim can be worn comfortably inside and out.
* Buy big-ticket items in timeless hues like a winter white. Accessorize with fleeting color: pink boots and gloves.
-- Janelle Erlichman Diamond