Mixed Seafood Grill
Vanilla Ice Cream with Sliced Fresh Peaches MIXED SEAFOOD GRILL (4 to 6 servings)
FOR THE GARLIC SCALLOPS:
1 pound scallops
1/2 cup oil
10 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
FOR THE GINGERED SALMON:
1 pound salmon fillets, cut into 2-inch wide strips
1/2 cup good quality commercial barbecue sauce
2 to 3-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
5 garlic cloves
FOR THE CURRIED SHRIMP:
1/2 pound shrimp, peeled
3 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
Lemon wedges and parsley sprigs for serving
Prepare coals for barbecue. While coals are heating, prepare marinades for seafood. Since this recipe requires quite a bit of garlic, to quickly remove skins from garlic, place whole head of garlic in a sock. Bang on the kitchen counter. Cloves should separate and peels should be easy to remove.
For the garlic scallops, combine oil, garlic and rosemary in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process until smooth. Place scallops in a shallow dish and cover with marinade. (Wipe out food processor bowl with a spatula, but in the interests of time, it is not necessary to fully wash and dry it.)
To make gingered salmon marinade, place barbecue sauce, ginger and garlic cloves in food processor. Process until well combined. Place sliced fish in a shallow dish and cover with marinade.
To make curried shrimp, mix oil and curry powder in a small bowl. Place shrimp in a shallow dish and coat with marinade.
When coals are almost ready, remove scallops from marinade and skewer. Skewer shrimp. Remove salmon from marinade. Place seafood on grill and cook for about 10 minutes, turning once or twice. Baste with appropriate marinades as needed.
To serve, remove shrimp and scallops from skewers and arrange on a pretty platter with salmon, lemon wedges and parsley sprigs. LEMON RICE (6 servings)
2 1/2 cups water
1 cup white rice
Grated rind of 1 lemon
Bring water to a boil. Stir in rice, cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Add lemon rind, fluff and serve. SAUTEED MUSHROOMS (6 servings)
3 tablespoons butter
1 pound small mushrooms
Freshly grated black pepper
Melt butter in a saucepan. Add mushrooms and cook until lightly browned. Sprinkle with freshly grated black pepper. The Schedule
1. Heat coals for barbecue. (To complete this meal within the time frame, you will probably need two cooks -- one to man the barbecue and one in the kitchen.)
2. Bring water to a boil for rice.
3. Bang head of garlic to separate cloves and peels.
4. Stir rice into boiling water, cover and cook.
5. Prepare scallop marinade and marinate.
6. Prepare salmon marinade and marinate.
7. Peel shrimp, prepare marinade and marinate.
8. Cook fish on grill.
9. Saute' mushrooms. Grate lemon rind. Fluff rice.
10. Arrange cooked food on serving plates.
11. While diners digest, peel and slice fresh peaches and arrange over vanilla ice cream.