(Makes about 4 cups)

1 pound carrots

1 tablespoon mixed pickling spice

3 cups water

1 cup cider vinegar

1 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

Peel carrots; cut each into sticks about 4 inches long and about 1/4 inch thick.

Tie pickling spice in cheesecloth to make a small ''bag.''

In a large saucepan bring water, vinegar, sugar, salt and spice to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves: simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Add carrots. Simmer, covered, for 2 minutes -- carrots will be very crisp. Remove spice bag. Pour carrots and their liquid into a container and cover tightly. Refrigerate 2 to 3 days for flavors to blend before serving. TURKEY CURRY

1 tablespoon butter

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 large clove garlic, finely chopped

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon paprika

3 teaspoons curry powder

2 tablespoons flour

11/4 cups chicken broth

3 cups cubed (3/4-inch) cooked turkey (1 scant pound)

Salt to taste

In a medium saucepan in the hot butter, stir together onion, garlic, cinnamin, paprika and curry powder until onion softens; stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth. Cook over mocderate heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add turkey and salt; reheat. Serve with rice, chutney and peanuts. Makes 4 servings. MOCK MAYONNAISE

5-ounce can evaporated milk, undiluted

1/4 cup lemon juice

3/4 cup vegetable oil

1 1/2 teaspoons yellow Dijon mustard

1/8 teaspoon paprika

Salt to taste

In a food processor with the metal blade, pulse together evaporated milk, lemon juice, oil, mustard, paprike and salt until thick. Store in a tightly covered jar in refrigerator. If mayonnaise separates, whisk lightly before usng. Makes about 1 and 1-3rd cps. Good with potato salad garnished with lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers. Stores well in refrigerator for about a week. MAGGIE MURPHY'S GRILLED FLOUNDERS

2 pounds flounder fillets

1/4 cup finely chopped onion

2 tablespoons vegetable


1 slice white bread

2 tablespoons brandy

1 tablespoon chopped fresh

basil or 1 teaspoon

dried crushed

2 or 3 sprigs fresh thyme

or 1/8 teaspoon ground

1/2 teaspoon salt

Freshly ground pepper

to taste

2 long slices natural

Swiss cheese

Softened butter or


You need four 8-inch-long fillets about 4 inches wide. If you do not have four large fillets, combine smaller pieces. They can be held together with a small skewer or toothpicks. Place flat on a piece of wax paper. Trim off end pieces to square fillets. There should be at least 1/2 cup of end pieces, but if you have more, use them all.

Saute onion in oil until tender but nmot browned. Add end pieces from fillets and cook several minutes until fish can be flaked. Crumble bread into skillet. Add brandy and seasonings and stir until well blended. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the mixture down center of each fillet. Cut Swiss cheese slices in half lengthwise and place on filling. Roll fillets, starting at narrow end. If cheese wants to peek out, bend slice back so it is covered by fish. Place stuffed fillets in an oiled fish grill. (You cannot do this dish without a grill). Spread fillets with softened butter. Grill 3 to 4 inches from hot charcoal for about 15 minutes turning to cook both sides. Remove any toothpicks or skewers before serving. Makes 4 servings. From ''A Cape Cod Seafood Cookbook'' by Margaret Deeds Murphy (Parnassus). WHOLE WHEAT PEAR QUICK BREAD

(Makes 1 loaf)

2 1/2 cups stirred whole wheat flour, scooped into measures and leveled

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 large eggs

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

1/2 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 or 3 medium-size (each about 5 ounces) Bartlett pears, pared and chopped medium fine (1 1/2 cups)

In a large bowl stir together flour, soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Make a hole in the center and into it drop eggs, oil, sugar, milk and vanilla; beat only until batter is smooth. Stir in pears.

Turn into a greased 9 by 5 by 3-inch metal loaf pan or an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 by 2 1/2-inch glass loaf dish. Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean -- 50 to 60 minutes. Place pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. With a small metal spatula loosen edges and turn out on rack; turn right side up; cool completely. Store, tightly wrapped, in refrigerator; bring to room temperature before serving.