Dinner in 30 Minutes
Stir-Fried Chicken With Lime and Coconut
The slightly tart, spicy chicken turns mellow when simmered in coconut milk. The Thai-inspired recipe was created by British cook Delia Smith, a BBC cooking fixture until recently. Serve with jasmine rice. Adapted from "Delia's How to Cook: Book Two," by Delia Smith (BBC Worldwide Publishing, 2001).
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
Grated zest and juice of 2 limes
4 teaspoons olive oil
2 green chili peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
4 teaspoons fish sauce
6 to 8 scallions, both white and light-green parts, cut into 1-inch shreds
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
In a medium bowl, combine the chicken pieces with the lime zest and juice. Let sit for 15 minutes or up to 1 hour. Set aside.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Discarding the lime zest and juice, add the chicken and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the chicken is golden. Add the chili peppers and stir-fry for 1 minute more. Add the coconut milk, fish sauce, half the scallions and half the cilantro. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Sprinkle with the remaining scallions and cilantro and serve immediately.
Per serving: 329 calories, 30 g protein, 8 g carbohydrates, 20 g fat, 68 mg cholesterol, 14 g saturated fat, 555 mg sodium, 2 g dietary fiber
Recipe tested by Marcia Kramer; e-mail questions to email@example.com
-- Marcia Kramer
SHOPPING CART | Thanksgiving Must-Haves
* OXO heat-resistant plastic, two-cup fat separator, about $9.99, at Sur La Table stores; 800-243-0852. www.surlatable.com.
* Phillippe Richard turkey roaster pan (16 by 12 by 33/4 inches) with nonstick removable rack, $49.95, at Crate & Barrel stores; 800-967-6696. www.crateandbarrel.com.
* Kershaw Shun carving set, $209.99, at Chesapeake Knife & Tool stores; 800-531-1168. www.ckandt.com.
* OXO silicone oven mitt, assorted colors, about $19.99 at Linens 'n Things stores; 866-568-7378. www.lnt.com.
* Ceramic leaf platter, $45, and leaf salad plates, four for $36; bone-handled servers, $39; at Pottery Barn stores; 888-779-5176. www.potterybarn.com.
* Prune-colored cotton dinner napkins, $16 each, by Yves Delorme and haystack napkin rings, $28 each; yellow striped Espelette cotton dinner napkins, $18 each, and jewel napkin rings, $16 each; at Baldaquin, 1413 Wisconsin Ave. NW; 202-625-1600.
* Cast-iron leaf trivet, $19; also from Pottery Barn.
* Fowl-design cotton tablecloth by Pierre Frey (70 inches square), $170; Versailles-inspired, amethyst and amber-colored pressed crystal salad/dessert plates, $37 each; also from Baldaquin.
* Polished-aluminum pear appetizer plates, set of four, $17.95, with matching spreader, $4.95; also from Crate & Barrel.
* Hand-blown water/wine glasses made in Biot, France, assorted colors, $45 each. Ceramic Italian hand-painted gravy boat, $85 and 16-by-12-inch platter, $185. At A Mano, 1677 Wisconsin Ave. NW; 202-298-7200.