Hubert Horatio Humphrey: "We set our wedding day for September the third some time in the summer. About a month before the wedding I told her by letter that I thought we would have to postpone the wedding because one of the clerks in the drug store watned her vacation then and we couldn't both be gone at the same time. I got a letter back from her father. He said 'Young man, you better make up your mind whether you want to get married or not. I'm going to tell my daughter not to stand for such nonsense.' So I went back to my father and I said, 'Look, Daddy, the wedding will be on September third!'

"I remember her wedding gown, it was a light blue velveteen, it matched her eyes. She had big blue eyes in those days, just like water in the lake. Man, I'd go bananas . . .

"We had to get married at 8 o'clock in the morning because we couldn't afford to close the drug store all day. In those days to lose a day's business was to meet the sheriff! On the morning of the wedding I had to wait at the house for my sister Frances who had lost her garter and was running around like a chicken with her head off trying to find it. It delayed us and when we got there, the church was full. When I saw that I said, 'Good, Go, we're late' and my clarion, raspy voice rang through that holy silence.

"We took my father's Model-T Ford and drove to Minneapolis on our honeymoon. We took Frances with us as far as Waterton - Muriel will never forget It . . . I didn't see anything wrong with it.

"After Minneapolis we drove up to Duluth . . . on the return we decided to drive all the way from Duluth to Huron (their home town), a distance of 350 miles, all in one day. About ten miles from home I'm coming down the road about fifty-five miles an hour. Then I saw these four cows . . . I zigzagged and missed three, but hit one and it died. We were about a mile and a half from the main road into Huron and Muriel and I pushed the car until we got to the highway and hitched a ride. The cow came before the person in those days and so we had to pay double damages - we had to pay for the car and the cow!"

Muriel Humphrey: "We'd set the date for September third when I heard from him and discovered that Leola (the clerk) was going to take her vacation at that time. Leola change my wedding date? I was very upset. I was very mad. My dad and I were working together running a resort at that time and so we were awfully busy too, and he was very upset. He finally decided he better let Hubert know you don't do that kind of thing - like changing a wedding date. I felt Dad's interference was a real help. He seldom interfered, so Hubert knew that if Dad called it was for the good of both of us. He said, 'Young man, you must realize a marriage date is something you make and you keep.'

"On the wedding day, the groom was not waiting down at the pulpit. Dad and I were ready to go down the aisle and Hubert arrived and said, 'My God, I'm late!' He was about ten minutes late.

"I remember though I was so happy that it was all coming off. I had had to make all the arrangements (her mother had died eighteen months earlier) and I had had a good many problems with my mother-in-law, we weren't even sure she was coming to the wedding! But when I took my father's arm, I just realized it was the happiest day of my life. I was so happy I felt guilty. I knew at that moment we were going to be married and going to have a good life . . . it was very right that day.

"When we hit the cow coming back from our honeymoon we were both just scared out of our wits. It was dark, not a light anywhere. It was a very rural road. We sat on the running board just shaking like leaves. Finally we rolled the car to the main highway. Then a friend came and he pushed it the rest of the way. The trouble was, not only did his dad have to get the car fixed, he had to pay for the dead cow! Those were rough days but we learned how to manage and we had an awfully good time."