16 -- "Modernism in American Silver: 20th-Century Design," the Dallas Museum of Art's traveling exhibition of production-line silver from art moderne to contemporary, at the Renwick Gallery. Through Jan. 22.
17 -- "Eileen Gray," a survey of works by the Irish-born, Paris-based furniture and interior designer (1879-1976), at the London Design Museum. Through Jan. 8.
24 -- "Classics to Chrome: Automobiles From 1925 to 1960," a photographic history of glamour-mobiles, at the Design Center at Philadelphia University. Through Nov. 20.
7 -- "Yinka Shonibare Selects: Works From the Permanent Collection," a special exhibit curated by the Anglo-Nigerian artist and focusing on motion and transportation, at the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York. Through March 7.
14 -- "Rozome Masters of Japan" at the Textile Museum. Through Feb. 12.
16 -- "SAFE: Design Takes On Risk," an appreciation of functional objects created to deal with human fears from earthquakes and terrorism to loneliness, at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Through Jan. 2.
4 -- "Excavating Design: 18th-Century Drawings and Prints From the Permanent Collection," glimpses of antiquity as our forefathers drew it, at the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York. Through Jan. 8.
18 -- "Wearing Propaganda: Textiles on the Home Front in Japan, Britain, and the United States, 1931-1945," at the Bard Graduate Center for Studies in the Decorative Arts, Design and Culture in New York. Through Feb. 5.
9 -- "Fashion in Colors," an analysis of color through trends in Western high fashion, from the Kyoto Costume Institute, at the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York. Through March 26.
* "Matisse: The Fabric of Dreams" at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. Through Sept. 25.
* "Tools of the Imagination" at the National Building Museum. Through Oct. 10.
* "Georg Jensen Jewelry" at the Bard Graduate Center for Studies in the Decorative Arts, Design and Culture in New York. Through Oct. 16.
* "Extreme Textiles" at Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York. Through Oct. 30.
* "Eva Zeisel: The Playful Search for Beauty" features the work of the celebrated ceramics designer at Hillwood Museum & Gardens. Through Dec. 4.
* "Gods and Empire: Huari Ceremonial Textiles" at the Textile Museum. Through Jan. 15.
* "Liquid Stone: New Architecture in Concrete" at the National Building Museum. Through Jan. 29.
* "Silk & Leather: Splendid Attire of 19th-Century Central Asia" at the Textile Museum. Through Feb. 26.