Two nearby Maryland carousels, primarily the handiwork of the same Philadelphia company, were rescued from the threat of removal by aroused local citizens.
After the Glen Echo (Md.) Amusement Park closed in 1968, its carousel, which had arrived bright and shiny from the William H. Dentzel Company of Philadelphia in 1921, was eventually purchased with donations from the public and foundations. Its horses, deer, rabbits, ostriches, giraffe, lion and tiger now operate in its original building at Glen Echo Park under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service. This season until the end of September, oldies will continue to pour from the rebuilt Military Wurlitzer 165 band organ, one of only a half dozen or so in the country, each weekend from noon to 6 p.m. and every Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
In 1974, the Prince Georges County Council approved funds to purchase the carousel that originally graced the amusement area at Chesapeake Beach, Md., (which closed in 1972). In July 1977, the public was invited to visit the carousel's new pavilion in Watkins Regional Park, Largo, Md., and ride animals (including a multi-hinged kangaroo which is the only one of its kind in operation in this country) that were virtually all designed in the Dentzel shop, some possibly before 1900. Through Labor Day, hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays and 10 to 6 on weekends and holidays.
These carousels are menagerie merry-go-rounds, which means they have animals other than horses. Restoration of the hand-carved animals is half finished at Watkins and in the planning stage at Glen Echo. A ride costs 50 cents at Watkins and 25 cents at Glen Echo.