For more information and reservations:
* White Grass Ski Touring Center, Route 1, Box 37, Davis, W.Va. 26260 (304-866-4114). Group lessons, $8 for 90 minutes; adult rentals, $9 weekends; area use fee, $3 weekends. Moonlight ski touring Tuesday and Saturday at 7:30, $5 per person, including mini-lesson and hot drink. Midweek and weekend packages available.
* TransMontane Outfitters Ltd., P.O. Box 325, Davis, W.Va. 26260 304-259-5117). Tours, lessons, rentals.
* Canaan Valley Resort State Park, Route 1, Box 39, Davis, W.Va. 26260 (304-866-4121). On weekends, with a two-night minimum, the lodge rate is $46.20 per night for a couple. Ski packages available. At the ski-touring center: Group lesson, $8; tour and lesson, $25; rentals, $10.
* Blackwater Lodge, Davis, W.Va. 26260 (304-259-5216). 55 lodge rooms at $34.65 a couple per night; midweek cross-country packages available.
* Blackwater Ski-Touring Center, Davis, W. Va. 26260 (304-259-5511). Open daily, no use fee, adult rentals, $10 weekends; group lessons, $8.
* River and Trail Outfitters, Route 2(S), Valley Road, Knoxville, Md. 21758 (301-834-9950). Tours, lessons, rentals.
* New Germany State Park, Rt. 2, Grantsville, Md. 21536 (301-895-5453). Warming hut but no rentals or lessons this year. Weekend parking lot fee, $3 for Maryland cars and $4 for out-of-state. Motel accommodations in Grantsville and Frostburg.
* Hidden Valley Resort, RD 4, Box 243, Somerset, Pa. 15501 (1-800-458-0175). Hotel, efficiencies, townhouses and chalets, with weekend rates beginning at $50 a night per couple. Ski packages available. At the ski-touring center: Trail fee, $3; adult rental, $9; group lessons, $7; weekday beginner package, $10 (trail fee, rental, lesson).
Other useful numbers or addresses:
* Snow conditions in Maryland parks: (301-768-0895).
* For information on lodging in the Canaan Valley-Davis, W. Va. area: Potomac Highland Travel Council, Burlington, W. Va. 26710 (304-289-3636).
* For information on lodging and equipment rentals in the area of New Germany State Park and other cross-country ski destinations in Garrett County, Md. (Herrington Manor, Swallow Falls and Deep Creek Lake state parks): Deep Creek Lake-Garrett County Promotion Council, Courthouse, Oakland, Md. 21550 (301-334-3888).
* Cabin Mountain Stables at Mt. Timberline (for sleigh rides), Canaan Valley, W.Va. 26260 (304-866-4496). For a one-hour ride: adults, $10; children 6-14, $5. Operating 10 a.m., 1 p.m., 2:30 p.m. Moonlight tours by arrangement.
* For a list of Pennsylvania's cross-country ski centers: Winter Sports Brochure, Pennsylvania Bureau of Travel Development, Dept. KCC, 416 Forum Building, Harrisburg, Pa. 17120.