What's the best gift for your globe-trotting friends? Perhaps a travel accessory to ease their next journey.
Whether travel is for business or pleasure, the following items can help frequent travelers stay organized, as well as add a hint of luxury to their journeys.
* Crabtree & Evelyn offers a basket full of travel niceties: small shampoos (75 cents each), folding toothbrushes ($2), small jojoba soaps in a case ($1.75), small shaving cream ($2.50), moisturizer ($2.25) and a swivel shaving brush with its own case ($15).
* Brookstone, known for its gadgets and hard-to-find accessories, has some unusual travel aids: ironing pads ($12.50), large converter sets ($31.95), tie cases ($24.95), leather luggage tags ($3.25), webbed luggage straps with steel casters ($15.95).
* Little Caledonia in Georgetown stocks a series of attractive traveling cases in bright striped fabrics, including a tie holder that holds eight ties and folds in half for packing ($25), and a matching utility case ($15).
* Lane's on Connecticut Avenue has a host of hard-to-find gifts: knitted shoe bags ($13.50), jewelry rolls ($21) and a series of great money belts and holders, including zippered belts, sock wallets, holster pouches and neck pouches.
* Pierre Deux at Mazza Gallerie has a vide poche (empty pocket), a square tray to hold your pocket contents in hotel rooms. It lies flat for packing and comes in two sizes ($10 or $20). The tray is made of the signature Souleiado French country printed fabric, as are their zippered jewelry rolls ($25), garment bags ($135) and cosmetic bags ($12.50 to $22.50).
* Gucci's attractive passport case, for either men or women, holds the new smaller American passport. It is available at Gucci Watergate or Chevy Chase in black or burgundy calf, pigskin and vinylized canvas ($45). Or buy an extravagant Gucci wallet in black crocodile (men's $495, women's $620) and fill it with foreign currency.
* Other gifts might include sewing kits, a laundry line with pins, travel slippers, expense account books, currency conversion charts, luggage, maps, atlases, pocket flashlights, Swiss army knives and guidebooks.