The phone number and hours for Countryside Accommodations, a bed-and-breakfast referral service in Summit Point, W.Va., were incorrectly listed in Sunday's Travel section. The correct number is (304) 725-2614. The hours are 8 to 10 a.m. and 5 to 10 p.m. daily.
GETTING THERE: Few rural retreats are more accessible to Washington than West Virginia's Eastern Gateway. The quickest route is to Harpers Ferry, about an hour's drive northwest via I-270 to Frederick, Md., and west on U.S. Rte. 340. Berkeley Springs is about two hours away, also via I-270 to Hancock, Md., and south on U.S. Rte. 522.
WHAT TO DO: Shop for antiques and Appalachian crafts; float the Shenandoah River with local canoe and raft outfitters; tour historical sites such as Berkeley Springs State Park and Harpers Ferry National Historical Site; hike, swim, ride a horse, play golf; soak in a hot tub and enjoy a massage and sauna; explore country back roads; dine at a country inn; relax with a book.
WHERE TO STAY: All-season resorts, country and village inns, a state park and campgrounds can be found throughout the three-county region. Rates and reservation information for places described in the accompanying article are as follows:
* Bavarian Inn and Lodge, Shepherdstown: A room for two begins at $48 a night Sunday through Thursday and $53 on Friday and Saturday. Honeymoon suites with private whirlpool bath are $85 to $100. For reservations: Bavarian Inn, Rte. 1, Box 30, Shepherdstown, W.Va. 25443, (304) 876-2551.
* Cacapon Lodge, Cacapon State Park: A room for two is $38.85 a night. Golf fees are $12 for 18 holes weekdays and $13.50 weekends. For reservations: Cacapon Lodge, Berkeley Springs, W.Va. 25411, (304) 258-1022 or (800) 624-8632.
* Coolfont Re-Creation, Berkeley Springs: A room and two meals daily begins at $45.95 per person (double occupancy) Sunday through Thursday and $57.95 on Friday and Saturday (two-night minimum on weekends). There is an additional 15 percent charge for gratuities. A half-hour massage is $18 and includes use of the hot tub and sauna; a facial is $22.
Coolfont offers weekend or week-long group programs for weight loss, fitness and stress management. There also are massage classes and programs for smokers who want to quit. For reservations: Coolfont, Berkeley Springs, W.Va. 25411, (304) 258-4500 or direct dial from Washington, 424-1232.
* The Country Inn, Berkeley Springs: A room for one or two (with basin only) is $35 a night; a room with full bath is $45. For reservations: The Country Inn, Berkeley Springs, W.Va. 25411, (304) 258-2210.
* Countryside, Summit Point: A room for two in this small bed-and-breakfast inn is $40 a night, including breakfast.
Manager Lisa Hileman also has begun Countryside Accommodations, a bed-and-breakfast referral service for half a dozen other inns in eastern West Virginia, with prices from $40 to $60 a night for two. Referral hours: daily, 7 to 10 a.m. and 4:30 to 11 p.m. For information (and reservations at Countryside): Lisa and Daniel Hileman, Box 57, Summit Point, W.Va. 25446, (304) 725-2616.
* The Woods, Hedgesville: The new deluxe rooms with whirlpool bath and fireplace begin at $65 a night; other rooms are available at $52.50. Meal packages also are offered on a per-person daily rate. All facilities are included except indoor tennis at $10 an hour and racquetball at $5 an hour. Massages are available on weekends (with advance reservation) for $20.
The Woods also is home to the Woods Fitness Institute, offering one- to four-week programs of weight loss, fitness and nutrition. For reservations: The Woods, P.O. Box 5, Hedgesville, W.Va. 25427, (304) 754-7977.
INFORMATION: Eastern Gateway Travel Council, West Virginia Information Center, Harpers Ferry, W.Va. 25425, (304) 535-2482.