Q: I want an East Coast family vacation that involves ages 7 to 70, that offers golf, swimming, fishing, horseback riding, hiking, biking, rafting, something for everyone.

Margaret Cullen

Newark, Del.

A: If you're beach people, consider a resort on one of the barrier islands off of South Carolina. Seabrook Island Resort on John's Island offers most of the activities you mention. The resort has two championship golf courses, horseback riding along the beach, tennis, a fitness center and a kids' center. A three-bedroom villa costs $260 a night; meals and many activities are extra. Information: 1-800-845-2475, www.seabrookresort.com. Kiawah Island Golf and Tennis Resort (1-800-654-2924, www .kiawah-island.com) is another barrier island resort; in addition to the usual golf, tennis, pools and fitness center, it offers an extensive nature program with canoeing, kayaking and bird-watching. You can stay at the inn or in a villa, or you can rent a home, which may be a good idea for a larger group; home rentals start at $1,400 a week.

If you prefer lakes, there's a highly regarded all-inclusive resort on Lake Champlain in Vermont called the Tyler Place. The resort offers all sorts of lake-related fun, including swimming, sailing, paddleboats, tubing, banana boat rides and windsurfing, plus fishing, biking, a children's program and nightly entertainment. Horseback riding is available nearby, and the resort has golf privileges at three area courses. A family of four should expect to pay about $3,500 a week, meals and activities included. Information: 802-868-4000, www.tylerplace.com.

Also, read a couple of books about family resorts. Choices include "100 Best Family Resorts in North America" by Janet Tice, Jane Wilford and Becky Danley, and "Super Family Vacations," by Martha Shirk.

Q: I will be taking a five-week course in Munich, Germany, this summer. I am interested in a one-room efficiency apartment. I'd like to rent from a student who is on vacation. Any ideas?

Lisa Kay


A: You may have waited too long to get the best deals. Short-term apartments in Munich are in high demand and short supply, and many are booked far in advance. But here are some sources worth trying:

* Blattl's Comfort Aparthotel (1-800-207-6900, www.blattl.de), on the outskirts of Munich near Olympic Park, offers studio apartments equipped with kitchenettes starting at about $50 a night.

* The Hotel Gastehause (011-49-89-83-9900, www.munich-tourist.de) offers studio apartments with a kitchen area for about $1,058 a month. The facility is about 12 minutes from the city center in West Munich.

* Interhome (1-800-882-6864, www.interhome.com) represents a studio apartment complex about three miles from the city center. The apartments with kitchenettes rent for about $485 a week.

* Barclay International Group (1-800-845-6636, www.barclayweb.com) represents the Maximilian apartments, a four-star facility in the heart of Munich. A studio apartment with kitchen rents for $115 a night.

As for renting an apartment from a vacationing student, I could not find an organization that specializes in subletting student apartments. There are, however, organizations that can arrange for you to stay at a university dormitory. Get a copy of the U.S. and Worldwide Travel Accommodations Guide, published by Campus Travel Service (1-800-525-6633, www.campus-lodging.com), a good source for university and other low-cost vacation housing.

Q: We are going to Scotland at the end of July. I have two questions: Is the mad cow disease scare over? What is the legal drinking age?

Ellen DeCarlo


A: Feel free to rip into a big T-bone while visiting Scotland. But you have to be 18 to wash it down with a beer.

The legal drinking age in Scotland, Wales and England is 18. Yes, you very well may be served if you're younger, especially if you're with adults. But pubs in the United Kingdom are getting stricter about enforcing the liquor laws. When we were in Northern England last year, children were allowed to drink a low-alcohol beer and lemonade beverage called a shandy. My kids thought it tasted awful.

As for the "eat a steak, turn your brain into a sponge" disease, it's old news, replaced with Europe's dioxin scares and Coca-Cola recalls in several countries. Boned steaks are now being served again throughout the United Kingdom, and the nearly three-year-old ban on most British beef exports was lifted by the European Union months ago.

Q: I would like to travel throughout Florida by car with my 20-pound poodle. Does the state publish a list of motels and hotels that accept pets?

Gloria Shelton


A: Florida's tourism bureau, which does not publish a list of pet-friendly lodging facilities, recommends contacting "Doggone," a pet travel newsletter based in Vero Beach, Fla., published by Wendy Ballard. "We have gathered tons of information for her on articles that she has done on pet friendly restaurants, attractions, etc.," said Visit Florida spokeswoman Kelly Grass. Ballard said her newsletter, published bimonthly, highlights travel destinations for pet owners that include pet-friendly accommodations. "The articles are also about what to do with your pet once you get there, so he isn't stuck in a hotel room all day," Ballard said. The newsletter, available by calling 1-888-DOG-TRAVEL (1-888-354-8728), is $24 for a one-year subscription. Ballard also supplies lists of pet-friendly accommodations; a list of hotels in Florida, for example, costs $10.

There are also a host of books and Web sites devoted to traveling with pets. Books worth looking at include "Traveling With Your Pet," published by AAA; "Vacationing With Your Pet," by Eileen Barish; "Take Your Pet U.S.A.," by Arthur Frank; "On the Road Again With Man's Best Friend," by Dawn and Robert Habgood; and "Travel With or Without Pets: 25,000 Pets-R-Permitted Accommodations, Petsitters, Kennels and More!" by M.E. Nelson. Web sites include www.traveldog.com, www.in dogswetrust.com, and www.petvacations .com.

Send queries by e-mail (travelqa @washpost.com), fax (202-334-1069) or U.S. mail (Travel Q&A, Washington Post Travel Section, 1150 15th St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20071). Include your name, town and phone number. We can't offer individual replies, but we'll answer as many questions as possible in print each week.