* Wisp Resort in Garrett County, Md., is celebrating its 50th birthday with 1955 prices on lift tickets, lessons and rentals. On Dec. 11 and Dec. 12, pay $7 per person for a two-day lift ticket (usually $50), $7 per day for rental equipment (usually $24) and $7 for a ski or snowboard lesson (usually $29). Also, a three-day lift ticket -- good Saturday through Monday -- is $30 (usual price is $63), and lodging is $79 a night ($139 is typical rate). Info: 301-387-4911, www.wispresort.com.
* A "PreSeason Getaway Special" at Bolongo Bay Beach Resort in St. Thomas is $150 a night for two, including an in-pool diving lesson. Usual lodging rate is $195, and the diving lesson is typically $35 per person. Book by Dec. 15 and travel by Dec. 22. Taxes and fees are an extra 15 percent, plus $2 energy surcharge per night. Book at 800-524-4746. Info: www.bolongobay.com.
* A train trip across Canada on VIA Rail is now about 37 percent cheaper than during high season. The fare for a three-night journey aboard the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver is about $1,947 per couple, plus $136 in taxes, for a double bedroom, including all meals. Price is for travel through May 31; five-day advance purchase required. Info: 888-842-7245, www.viarail.ca.
* Celebrate the new year with Discovery World Cruises and get free airfare to South America. A 15-night Amazon & South America cruise on the Discovery from Manaus, Brazil, to Buenos Aires departing Reagan National or BWI Dec. 27 starts at $2,950 per person double, including airfare. Taxes are $124 extra. Also, singles don't have to pay a supplement in certain cabin categories. The deal also includes two additional nights in a Buenos Aires hotel. The brochure rate for the cruise starts at $3,450, plus $645 air. To book, call 866-623-2689 and ask for promo code DIS051228. Info: www.discoveryworld cruises.com.
* Carnival has discounted several of its holiday cruises. For example, a four-day cruise to the Western Caribbean departing Galveston, Tex., Dec. 22 is $609 per person double for an oceanview cabin; taxes are an extra $17. Brochure rate is $979. Info: 888-CARNIVAL, www.carnival.com.
* Southwest has last-minute $89 fares from BWI to 10 destinations in Texas, Nevada, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Arizona and California. For example, pay $198 round trip, including taxes, to San Diego. Complete travel by Dec. 15; buy by tomorrow. Seven-day advance purchase required. Book at www.southwest.com.
* Northwest has sale fares for travel in December and January. Lowest fares are available Dec. 6, 7, 13, 14, and 25; slightly higher sale fares on other dates through Jan. 8, except for Dec. 22 and 23. For example, lowest round-trip fare to Grand Rapids, Mich., is $187, including taxes. Other airlines are matching. Purchase at www.nwa.com by tomorrow or pay $10 more at 800-225-2525.
* FunJet Vacations (888-558-6654, www.funjet.com) has a sale on packages from Washington Dulles to Montego Bay, Jamaica. For example, a four-night vacation at the Holiday Inn Sunspree -- including air, lodging and all meals and beverages -- is $1,162 per couple, including taxes, for Monday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday departures Dec. 16-19 and Jan. 1-9. Priced separately, the deal would cost about $1,786 per couple.
* A last-minute trip to Rome, Florence and Venice is $889 per person double with a deal from Air France. The "Presenting Italy" trip includes round-trip air to Rome, with return from Venice: two nights' hotel in each city; second-class rail between cities; and breakfasts. Taxes are $105 extra. Travel by Dec. 15 for the cheapest fares. The package starts at $1,079 for travel Dec. 16-Dec. 24 and $1,150 for Dec. 25-Jan. 2. Booked separately, air alone starts at about $975. Info: 800-237-2623, www.airfranceholidays.com.
-- Carol Sottili
Prices were verified and available on Thursday afternoon when the Travel section went to press. However, deals sell out quickly and are not guaranteed to be available. Restrictions such as day of travel, blackout dates and advance-purchase requirements sometimes apply.