The following organizations offer support and advice for stutterers:

*National Association for Hearing and Speech Action, the consumer affiliate of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, pro- vides literature on stuttering as well as information on certified speech pathologists. Write: NASHA, 10801 Rockville Pike, Rockville, Md. 20852, or call 897-8682 (TTY or voice); 800-638-8255 from out of state.

*National Council on Stuttering, Washington Chapter, sponsors a support group for stutterers. Write c/o The Counseling Center, Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C. 20064, or call 243-2998.

*National Institute of Neorological and Communicative Disorders and Stroke (NINCDS) provides a free booklet, "Stuttering: Hope Through Research." Write: Stuttering, National Institutes of Health, Building 31, Room 8A06, Bethesda, Md., 20205, (301) 496-5751.

*National Alliance on Stuttering directs stutterers to local self-help groups and professional agencies. Write: P.O. Box 1903, University, Ala., 35486, or call (205) 348-7131.

*National Stuttering Project provides information on stuttering, has self-help chapters around the country, and publishes a monthly newsletter. Write: 1269 Seventh Ave., San Fransisco, Calif., 94622. Call (415) 566-5324 or (415) 647-4700. The local chapter's phone number is 671-8057.

*National Easter Seal Society has material on stuttering and speech disorders. Write: 223 West Ogden Ave., Chicago, Ill. 60612, or call (312) 243-8400. Or call the local Easter Seal affiliate: 232-2342.

*Northern Virginia Association for the Communicatively Impaired provides information an all types of communication disorders and local support groups: 1532 Wrightson Dr., McLean, Va. 22101.

*Speak Easy International Foundation Inc. is a consumer advocacy group for those with communication disorders: 233 Concord Dr., Paramus, N.J. 07652.

*Speech Foundation of America provides information and referrals for the communicatively impaired. Write: P.O. Box 11749, Memphis, Tenn., 38111.