Retired Navy Adm. Byron Hall Hanlon, 76, a much-decorated veteran of World War II and the Korean conflict, died Jan. 9 in Charleston, S.C., after a long illness.

From 1946 until 1948, he was commanding officer of the old Naval Powder Factory at Indian Head, Md. In 1950, he commanded for a brief period the Naval Ordnance Laboratory at White Oak, Md. In 1950-52, he was superintendent of the Naval Gun Factory in Washington.

Born in Rocklin, Calif., Adm. Hanlon entered Annapolis in 1917. During World War I, he served on the battleship U.S.S. Ohio, with the Atlantic Fleet. He graduated in 1920 with the class of 1921.

Prior to World War II, he saw several tours of duty at the Naval Gun Factory and on battleships and destroyers at sea.

Adm. Hanlon was in Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked in 1941 and suffered minor injuries. In 1942-44, he wsa officer in charge of the planning division at the Naval Gun Factory.

He then returned to the Pacific. he participated in the pre-invasion assault operations against Iowa Jima, Volcano Islands and Okinawa. He commanded the battleship U.S.S. North Carolina, prior to reporting to duty at Indian Head.

Assigned to the Far East during the Korean conflict, Adm. Hanlon was United Nations Command representative on the Korean economic board and on the joint staff of the commander in chief, Far East command.

In 1954-55, he was commander of the blockading and escort force, Pacific Fleet. Later in 1955, he was commander of Joint Task Force Seven, serving as senior represetnative of the Atomic Energy Commission at the Pacific Proving Ground during Operation Redwing.

His last assignment before retiring in 1958 was commander of Amphibious Forces, Atlantic Fleet.

Adm. Hanlon's decorations included the Navy Cross, the Distinguished Service Medal, the Army Distinguished Service Medal, the Legion of Merit with Oak Leaf Cluster, the Bronze Star and Korea's highest military honors.

He is survived by two sons, Peter of Mount Airy, Md., and Kevin, of New York, and several grandchildren.