Henry Stevens, 80, retired head of the allergens research division of the Agriculture Department's bureau of agricultural and indutrial chemistry, died Jan. 10 at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda. He lived in Bethesda.
Dr. Stevens organized the allergens research division in 1936, and continued to direct research on allergens until retiring in 1965.
In 1950, he and two associates won the Hillebrand Prize of the American Chemical Society's Washington section for outstanding achievement in the chemical study of food allergy and immunology.
The allergens division also had received Agriculture's Superior Service Award while he was in charge.
Born in St. Albans, Vt., Dr. Stevens received bachelor's and master's degress from the University of Wisconsin. He was with the scientific staff of the Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research and studied at Cornell University Medical College in New York.
He came to Washington as a research fellow with the National Cottonseed Products Association and earned a doctorate from George Washington University in 1934.
Dr. Stevens was amember of the American Chemical Society, the American Academy of Allergy, the Society of Experimental Biology and Medicine, the Washington Academy of Sciences, the Cosmos Club and Westmoreland Congregational Church.
He is survived by a son Durward, of Madison, Wis.; a daughter, Mrs. Frederick J. Barleben, of Hilton, N.Y., and seven grandchildren.