Hamaas Abdul Khaalis, the Hanafi Muslim Leader who led 11 gunmen last week in the capture of 124 hostages and the takeover of three Washington buildings, was officially booked yesterday for armed kidnaping. Then he was again released to return home.

Khaalis, 56, arrived at police headquarters, 300 Indiana Ave. NW, in a police car and was escorted into the building by Capt. Joseph O'Brien, head of the homicide squad, and Det. James Greenwell, who had picked up Khallis from his home at 7700 16th St. NW.

Accompanying Khaalis were two women, one of whom is believed to be his wife, Khadyia andhis son-in-law, Abdul Aziz. Khaalis was fingerprinted and photographed in the brief booking procedure. Then he and his relatives returned to the police car and were driven home.

Khaalis was set free on his own peronsal recognizance early Friday morning as part of the negotiated deal to release 124 hostages being held at the District Building. B'nai International headquarters, and the Islamic Center.

Eight other gunmen were ordered jailed - two on $75,000 bond each and six under $50,000 bond each. The remaining three gunman, who had no prior arrest records, were also released without bond on personal recognizance.

In the bloody, three-pronged takeover, one man was killed and several injured as the 12 Hanafi Muslims led by Khaalis moved in to the three buildings with guns and large knives.

The dead man was Maurice Williams, 24, a WHUD-FM radio news reporter, who was shot to death as he stepped off the elevator on the fifth floor of the District Building just as the takeover there began. Williams' funeral was held yesterday.

Dr. Mohammad Abdul Rauf, director of the Islamic Center, at 2551 Massachusetts Ave. NW, was among 11 hostages taken there. Dr. Rauf described yesterday how phone calls he made under Khaalis' orders resulted in the movie, "Muhammad, Messenger of God" being halted in mid-screening. The Hanafis contend the film to sacriligious and misquotes the Koran.

"He gave me about 25 minutes to call some ambassadors of Muslim nations and tell them to do what they could to get the movie stopped," said Dr. Rauf. "I called ambassadors in New York and Washington. I checked with Secretary of State Cyrus Vance.

"I finally got the consul-general of Egypt in New York," Rauf added. "I said he would call other ambassadors of Islamic nations and ask them to help get the film stopped. He also called New York Mayor Abe Beame.

"In less than an hour, we got a call from New York saying that Mayor Beame had been in touch with the producer of the movie and it would be halted immediately," Dr. Rauf said.

"The gunmen who were holding us hostage said, "Thank God."

Some scattered details about how the release of the hostages was achieved were made known yesterday. According to sources close to the negotiations last week, police concluded early that Khaalis was in complete control of action of all three hostage sites.

The fact that one person was speaking for the three groups of gunmen greatly simplified negotiations, according to sources.

Police were careful to avoid any shooting incident or to create the impression in any way that the hostage sites might be rushed, the sources maintained. As many concessions as possible were made quickly.

Khaalis had demanded that $750 he paid in legal fees during a 1973 court hearing be returned. The money was taken to him at the Bnai B'rith buildign in a black attache case. His demand that the movie "Muhammad, Messenger of God," was also granted.

Another demand that five black Muslims convicted in the murder of members of Khaalis' family be brought from prison to Washington so they could be executed was not granted.

According to the March 21, 1977 issue to Newsweek magazine, at one point during the negotiations, Egypt's ambassador, Ashsraf Ghorbal, suggested that Khaalis release 30 Lostages "as a gesture of good faith."

"Khaalis looked around the table and calmly volunteered to release them all," reported Newsweek. "That, in effect, was it; the only oustanding question was the fate of the terrorists."

"Whether or not he (Khaalis) was going behind bars immediately was not decided," Pakistan Ambassador Sahabzada Yaqub-Khan told Newsweek. "He thought it would look bad to his followers if he were put in jail at once."

Mrs. Khaalis announced to the press yesterday that a press conference will be held at Hanafi headquarters Thursday morning to make a statement "on behalf of all Hanafis in this country."