The Rev. Dr. Robert F. Ogden Sr., 79, former Library of Congress official, Foreign Service officer and Presbyterian missionary, died March 14 in Morristown (N.J.) Memorial Hospital.
A resident of Hillcrest Heights for many years, he and his wife, Adelia Russell Ogen, had been living in recent months with their son, Robert F. Jr., in Convent Station, N.J.
Dr. Ogden had served as head of the Near East section, division of orientalia at the Library of Congress from 1949 until his retirement in 1966. He then was designated honorary consultant in Near East bibliography at the library.
Born in Ashland, Ky., he was a graduate of Centre College in Danville, Ky. He received a master's degree from Princeton University and a theology degree from Princeton Theological Seminary. He was ordained in Ebenezer Presbytry in Kentucky in 1922, and began his ministry as a circuit rider in western Canada.
Dr. Ogden studied Skmitic languages at Columbia University in 1923 and 1924. A year later, he and his wife were sent toLebanon as missionaries where they served until 1935. During this period, he took a fourlough to earn a master's degree in scared theology from Uniion Theological Seminary in New York.
Dr. Ogden and his wife were missionaries in Syria from 1935 to 1938. They then returned to this country, where he was on the faulty of Louisville Presbyterian THeological Seminary for two years. He also was waarded an hononrary doctor of divinity degree by Centre College.
From 1941 to 1943, he carried out home mission work in the Baltimore area and took added studies in Semitic languages at Johns Hopkins University. He then served with Army intelligence until the end of World War II.
In 1945, Dr. Ogden was appointed to the Near East and African branch, division of cultural cooperation of the State Department. From 1946 to 1949, he was public affairs officer with the U.S. Information Agency in Beirut and then Damascus.
After joining the Library of Congress, Dr. Ogden traveled widely, acquiring books and manuscripts for the library. He also taught at Georgetown University's Institute of Languages and Linguistics.
He was a lecturer at the Foreign Service Institute from 1967 to 1969, serving as program chairman for the Near East and North Africa during the first year.
Dr. Ogden also was active in the National Presbyterian Church here, where he was on the library committee and taught the Thurston Class.
In addition to his wife and son, he is survived by two daughters, Anna Grace, of Oxon Holl, and Adelia O. Heller, of Knoxvillc, Tenn., Seven grandchildren and four great-grand-children.