The Rev. Richard C. Fell, under whose leadership two Episcopal missions were formed into St. Andrew's Church in North Arlington in 1951, died of pulmonary disease Monday in Charleston, S.C. He was 60.
A native of Alabama, Mr. Fell received a B.A. degree from Birmingham Southern College in 1937, and a bachelor of divinity degree from Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria in 1947.
After he was ordained, Mr. Fell returned to Alabama, where he was appointed vicar of Grace Church in Sheffield and St. John's in Tuscumbia. He served the two churches until 1951.
When he returned to Virginia that year, Mr. Fell brought together Grace Church, at 20th and Quincy Streets in Arlington, and the Church of the Epiphany, at Lorcom Lane and Fillmore Street, to form St. Andrew's at its present location, 4000 Lorcom La.
He remained at St. Andrew's until 1955, when he was named rector of St. Thomas' Episcopal Church in Richmond, where he served until 1961. Mr. Fell then moved to Charleston, S.C., where he was rector of St. Michael's Church until 1965. He returned to Richmond, where he was rector of All Saints Church until he retired for medical reasons Feb. 1, 1976.
During his last appointment, Mr. Fell also served on the Board of Examining Chaplains for the Diocese of Virginia, 1966 through 1969; was a member of the board of Virginia Diocesan Homes, Inc., from 1967 to 1970, and served a three-year term on the diocese's executive committee from 1969 to 1971. He was also a founder and former president of the Episcopal Book Store in Richmond.
Survivors include his wife, Kathleen L., of the home in Charleston; two daughters, Kathleen W., of Nashville, and Margaretta K., of Wilmington, N.C., and a sister, Mrs. William Hamilton, of Birmingham, Ala.