Retired Navy Adm. Harold B. Sallada, 83, whose last assignment was commander Naval Air Forces. Pacific Fleet in San Diego, died April 25th at the Manor Care of Arlington Nursing Home.

A former resident of Dallas, Texas, he had moved to Arlingon last June. He recently had entered the nursing home to recuperate form injuries suffered in afall.

Born in Williamsport Pa. Adm Sallada graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1917 and served with the Atlantic fleet during World War I.

He saw duty on battleship, cruisers, destroyers and gunboats, graduated from the Naval War College and became a Navy aviator in 1921.

Adm. Sallada commanded the first sea-going aviation catapult unit on the cruiser U.S.S. Richmond. Later he was commander of Scouting Squadron one of the Navy's first aircraft carrier, the U.S.S. Langley.

He was executive officer of the aircraft carrier U.S.S.Wasp from its commissioning in 1940 until 1941. He then commanded the seaplane tender U.S.S. Alberarle, which operated in the North Atlanticand Iceland area prior to and during the early months of World War II.

After serving in Washington with the Navy's bureau of aeronautics and the office of the deputy chief of naval operations for air, Sallada was assigned to Naval Air Force. Pacific Fleet. In 1943 and 1944, he organized and commanded the Pacific Fleet Amphibious Force Support Aircraft. This group gave support from aircraft carriers to Marine Corps landings in the Pacific.

Adm. Sallada commanded Carrier Division 26 and 6 duig the 1944 assault on the Marshall Island and the capture of the Marianas. He was commander of the Marshall Gilberts area until June, 1945, when he was appointed chief of the bureau of aeronauties in Washington.

In 1947, he became deputy commander in chief. U.S. Pacific Fleet, until 1948 when he took his last command before retiring .

His many decorations included three Legions of Merit and the Navy and Marine Corps Medal.

Several years after his retirement from the Navy, Adm. Sallada joined Fairchild Engine and Airplane Corp. as a manager of the Chicago plant of the aircraft division. In 1952, he was employed by Chance Vought Aircraft, Inc. He was senior vice president and a member of the board of directors when he retired for a second time in 1960.

He is survived by two sons. Navy Capt. William F. Sallada, of Fairfax, and Navy Cdr. Robert V. Sallada, of Washington, and two grandchildren.

The family suggests that expressions of sympathy may be in the form of contributions to the American Cancer Society or the American Diabetes Association.