The prosecution at the espionage trial of Edwin Gibbons Moore II summed up its case today by picturing Moore as a "cold calculating" man determined to sell secret CIA documents to the Soviets.

Moore's attorney argued that Moore is only a sick person whose "loose and sloppy crime" was the latest episode in a life marked by a series of emotional disturbances.

After hearing closing arguments by both sides, a U.S. District Court jury retired today to consider the charges against Moore, a 56-year-old retired CIA officer worker who was arrested Dec. 21 and accused of offering two classified 1973 CIA telephone directories and other documents to the Soviet Union for $200,000.

Moore has pleaded innocent by reason of insanity to one charge of espionage and two counts each of unauthorized possession of classified documents and government property.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Daniel F. Goldstein had told the jury that Moore had "consciously" decided to sell classified documents in order to alleviate mounting financial problems that became particularly intense after he retired from the CIA in 1973.

Moore joined the CIA in 1952 and was given a leave without pay in 1961 to fight charges that he deliberately burned down property he owned in North Carolina. After he was acquitted, he rejoined the agency in 1967, remaining until 1973.

Goldstein said Moore had been sneaking secret documents out of the CIA for more than 20 years, "probably" keeping them in a family home he owned in North Carolina.

The prosecutor said Moore was the author of an anoymous "blackmail" letter sent in 1975 to then CIA Director Williams Colby threatening defection "to the opposition" if long-time CIA employees were not promoted retroactively.

Moore has denied writing the letter, but FBI witnesses testified that he ments and typewriters that were taken could be linked to it through cocu-from his home at 4800 Ft. Sumner Dr., Bethesda, after Moore's arrest.

Goldstein claimed that when the demand in the letter to Colby went unmet, Moore waited more than a year before carrying out the threat by throwing a packet of documents through the fence of a Soviet residence at 3875 Tunlaw Rd. NW, Washington, last December.

Goldstein said Moore's claim that he had been directed in his actions by someone named "Joe." who Moore testified he believed worked for the CIA, was "filled with lies."

For the "Joe" story to be true-Moore would have to have had "hallucinations." Goldstein said, and there were no such evidence of that in psychiatric testing done after his arrest.

Goldstein said Moore's insanity plea should be ignored by the jury because Moore had shown "stealth" and "conscious intent" in collecting the documents, in writing several drafts of the note he testified he had thrown into the Soviet residence, and by his action the next day. Dec. 22, while awaiting a response from the Soviets.

Defense attorney Courtland K. Townsend Jr. said his client had suffered for years from delusions about his own self-worth and conduct, delusions that drifted in intensity between sanity and an inability to take responsibility of his own action.

Townsend said CIA memos beginning in 1961 had diagnosed Moore as suffering from paranoia, the disease on which the insanity plea is based.

"If you're going to start an espionage plot like the government says (that Moore did) then you are not going to drop the (Colby letter) in a windy garage" and then wait for nearly two years to act on the threat that letter contained, he said.

Townsend argued that Moore's behavior after throwing the documents - along with an offer of more in return for $200,000 - on to the grounds of the Soviet residence refutes the government's claims that he carried out a clever scheme to make money.

Moore went back home, Townsend said, and "waited with a rake in his hand" for the Soviets to respond. The response turned out to be from the FBI because a guard at the Soviet residence turned the envelope of documents over to an Executive Protective Service officer, thinking it might contain a bond.