Donald Chenoweth Kline, 72, professor emeritus of art at George Washington University, died of a heart condition Tuesday at his home in Chevy Chase.
He had served as chairman of the department from 1953 to 1967. When he was named professor emeritus in 1973, he became curator of art and as such was in charge of the university's Dimock Gallery until his final retirement in June, 1975.
Born in Dayton, Ohio, Mr. Kline received a bachelor of architecture degree from GW in 1927 and became an instructor in architecture there.
He took leave from GW to earn a graduate diploma in architecture form Ecole Americaine at Fondainebleu, France, in 1929. He then returned to GW and was named assistant professor of art in 1932.
Mr. Kline became of full professor in 1949. While serving as art department chairman, he earned a master of fine arts degree from Catholic University in 1958.
Mr. Kline also had selved as assistant editor of architecture of the Federal Writers' Project under the Works Progress Administration, and as editor of one its publication, "Washington: City and Capital."
He had exhibited widely in this area many of his sculptures, paintings, photographs and jewelry and held many awards. He was founder and first president of the Washington Sculptors Group.
Mr. Kline served as a Marine Corps offices during World War II.
He is survived by his wife, Julia, of the home; a son, Jon Robert, of Alexandria; a daughters, Dale Birkel, of Washington, and two grandchildren.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy may be in the form of contributions to the art department of George Washingotn University.