Dr. William Philip Argy Sr., 80, professor emeritus of medicine of Georgetown University School of Medicine, died Thursday at Cooley-Dickinson Hospital in Northhampton, Mass.
A resident of Chevy Chase, he was visiting relatives in Turners Falls, Mass., when he became ill.
Dr. Argy's long career in medicine was mainly with the Georgetown Medicine Center but he also served at other medical facilities here.
Born in Palmer Fall, N.Y., he graduated from Georgetown University in 1921, and was named assciate professor of clinical medicine in 1924. He held that position until he became professor emeritus of medicine in 1948.
Dr. Argy served as director of the center's clinics in the early 1930s and set up the first insulin clinic at the hospital. He was on the hospital's board of directors from 1928 to 1947.
He also was chief of staff at the old Galliger Hospital, from 1928 to 1932, and from 1931 to 1954 he was chief fo medicine at Providence Hospital where he was on the board of directors.
Dr. Argy served as medical director of the D.C. Society for Crippled Children from 1950 to 1972.
A diplomate of the American Board on Internal Medicine, he was a fellow of the American College of Physicians and the American Academy of Cerebral Palsy.
He belonged to the D.C. Medical Society, the American Medical Association, the America Academy of Neutrology and the Washington Society of Pathologists. He had published articles in numerous medical journals.
Dr. Argy also had been active in Rotary International, the Merrick Boys Camp and the Catholic Youth Organization and was a former director of the Criminal Justice Association of D.C.
He is survived by a son, Dr. William P. Argy Jr., of Chevy Chase; a brother, Thomas, and two sisters, Florence and Blondena, all of Turners Falls