Seeking the solace of family life rather than medical observational thereapy, most of the hostages rescued in a daring attack by Dutch marines early yesterday returned home this weekend to recuperate from their 20-day ordeal at the hands of South Moluccan gunmen.

Guant, shaken, but overjoyed at their liberation, some 40 passengers from the captive train rejoined their families after brief medical check-ups. Two remain under psychiatric care and seven are being treated for wounds suffered in the dawn blitz in which two hostages and six terrorists were killed.

The four teachers freed in the assault on the Bovensmilde village school chose to remain a few more days at a hospital. Doctors said that they are expected to recover rapidly from bruises and cuts.

Sjann Adbink, a second-grade teacher freed along with three colleagues when Dutch troops stormed the school, described the sudden - and startling - rescue.

"I was sleeping on a mattress in the main classroom when we heard the guns and tanks. When the shooting began, I jumped under a table in the corner."

Two male teachers sleeping in a nearby storeroom cried, "Get over here" to Mrs. Adbink and a female colleague as armored troop carriers rolled toward the school under heavy gunfire.

"We crawled about 15 feet along the hall and hid inside the storeroom," emrs. Adbink said. "Suddenly, a tank came through the wall and stopped just 10 inches from us."

Marines jumped from the four troop carriers that chashed through the school walls. The marines hurled a dozen grenades that ripped through walls and ceilings. Within seconds, the four terrorists threw down their guns and surrendered. Nobody was wounded during the attack on the school, but the four teachers were bruished and cut by falling bricks and glass.

After their release, the teachers, like many of the train hostages, refused offers of psychological assistance. A group of psychiatrists, concerned about the difficulties of read-justment after a traumatic experience, had arranged group therapy sessions for hostages who wished to participate.

But most of the captives simply wanted to be reunited as quickly as possible with their families, a healthy response that indicates they will soon resume their usual activities and relationships, doctors said.

In the South Moluccan community, preparations were made today for funerals on Tuesday of the six young radicals who died in the attack on the train.

Several Moluccans said they had received "nasty phone calls," both at home and at a community center where many of them gathered this weekend.

Young Moluccans have criticized Dr. Johannis Manusama, head of South Molucca's government in exlie here, for his tacit agreement with Dutch authorities that a military solution was the only alternative available to free the hostages.

"Terrorist acts cannot be allowed if we want to maintain order in a democracy. I realize that the attack was the only way out for the Dutch government," Dr. Manusama said, on television.

A group of young Moluccans, standing outside their center on the out-skirts of this town, pointed to the display of many South Moluccan flags in their neighborhood. "This all means that our struggle is still going on," said one.

[Dutch government and South Moluccan community leaders met today in Assen in an effort to prevent both new guerrilla attacks and racial backlash growing out of the siege, United Press International reported. A statement said the talks, which lasted nearly five hours, were "valuable and constructive."]