The Rev. Dr. Orris Gravenor Robinson, 84, a former methodist pastor in Bethesda and Washington, died Sunday at an Annapolis nursing home. He had lived in Washington.
Dr. Robinson was pastor of Calvary Methodist Church in Washington from 1938 to 1954, superintendent of the Washington East District of the Baltimore Conference in 1955 to 1960, and pastor of Bethesda United Methodist Church until retiring in 1965.
After retiring, he became financial director of the E. Stanley Jones Ashram Movement and visiting pastor at Hughes United Methodist Church in Wheaton.
Born in Sharptown, Md., Dr. Robinson was a graduate of Johns Hopkins University, attended Drew Theological Seminary in Madision, N.J., and received a doctor of dvinity degree from Western Maryland College.
His ministry began in 1916 at Orangeville in Baltimore County in the old Baltimore Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. While a student minister he then served as an associate at several churches in Baltimore and later was pastor of Memorial Methodist Church there.
Before coming to Calvary Church in Washington, he was with Centenary Church in Westminister, Md.
Dr. Robinson had been active in interracial affairs and the ecumenical movement within the church.
He taught at Howard University School of Religion and was the first chairman of the Baltimore Conference Board of Child Care.He had served a number of times as a delegate to the General Conferences of the Methodist Church.
He is survived by his wife, Dorothy Medders Robinson, of the home in Washington; two daughers, Mrs. Bryce D. Jacobsen, of Annapolis, and Mrs. Allan W. Holman, of New Bloomfield, Pa., five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy may be in the form of contributions to a scholarship fund in his name at Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington.