The Washington man who held police at bay for eight hours Wednesday while he barricaded himself in his third-floor apartment has been charged with four counts of assault on a police officer, and one count each of possessing an unregistered weapon and unregistered ammunition, police reported.

John Edward Fuller, 29, of 1350 Clifton St. NW, also faces second-degree murder charges arising from the May 26 slaying of 19-year-old Edwin Lee Proctor in the D & W Sea Food and Poultry Market, 2508 14th St. NW.

The U.S. attorney's office said yesterday that a preliminary hearing showed probable cause to hold Fuller on the murder charge, but pointed out that a grand jury must decide whether he should go to trial.

Fuller, who was recuperating yesterday from minor cuts and tear-gas inhalation in the lockup ward of D.C. General Hospital, will be arraigned after his release.

Fuller reportedly was concerned about his estranged girl friend, who is said to be the mother of Proctor, the shooting victim. This is the only apparent motive for his triggering the siege.

Wednesday's siege was brought to an end when police used an explosive device to blow open the door of Fuller's apartment shortly after 6 p.m. Police said they decided to use the explosive after negotiations proved fruitless and after about 40 canisters of tear gas failed to drive Fuller from the apartment.

The blast that knocked down the door caused a blaze, which fire marshals yesterday said caused about $7,000 damage. The living room and kitchen of the third-floor apartment were gutted, their contents destroyed and there was structural damage to other apartments, fire officials said.

Officials said the fire was caused when the explosive - which police declined to describe - ignited tear gas that had accumulated in Fuller's apartment. Officials of the Special Operations Division, which handles barricade situations, said, the particular explosive was used Wednesday for the first time in such a situation.

The D.C. Red Cross took about 70 residents of the sprawling Clifton Terrace apartment complex to the National Hotel, 1808 I St. NW, or to the Pitts Motor Hotel, 1451 Belmont St. NW. Most of those requiring shelter were from 18 third-floor apartments, Red Cross officials said.

The city's Department of Human Resources paid for Wednesday night's lodging for the displaced residents, and the Red Cross has assumed any further costs.