Frank P. Harman Jr., 84, a retired Washington banker, died Tuesday at his home in Georgetown, where he had lived for more than a half-century.
He retired in 1964 as executive vice president of the National Bank of Washington, and remained a member of the bank's advisory board until his death.
A descendant of pioneer families in southwestern Virginia, Mr. Harman was born near Roanoke and grew up there and in Lynchburg. He moved to Washington with his family in 1911.
His father, the late Frank P. Harman, was chairman of the board of the Commercial National Bank.
After attending St. Albans School and briefly studying at Georgetown University Law School, Mr. Harman began his banking career as a runner for the Commercial National Bank in 1913.
He enlisted in the Army in 1917, served as a training sergeant, was discharged as a second lieutenant in 1919 and returned to banking.
A year later, Mr. Harman was made a cashier of the Merchants Bank and Trust Co. He later was its treasurer and vice president until its 1930 merger with the Federal American National Bank and Trust Co., of which he became vice president.
In [WORD ILLEGIBLE] Mr. Harman joined the newly formed Hamilton National Bank as a vice president. The Hamilton Bank merged with the National Bank of Washington in 1954, and he was named executive vice president three years later.
From 1937 to 1947, Mr. Harman also was president of the family-owned Puritan Coal Corp. in Puritan, W. Va. He also had raised cattle on his farm near Seneca, Md.
He had been active in the D.C. Bankers Association, the old Community Chest and the Georgetown Citizens Association. Mr. Harman also belonged to the Chevy Chase Club and was a founding member of the City Tavern Association.
He is survived by a son, Frank P. Harman III, of Washington, and three grandchildren.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the Memorial Scholarship Fund at St. Albans School or the Seneca Community Church.