An Earlville, Md., man died Thursday morning an hour after being stung by a swarm of yellow jackets, according to state police in Cecil County.
Police said Eugene W. Ewing, 64, was digging along an embankment in front of his home for earthworms to take on a fishing trip with his grandchildren when he struck an underground nest of yellow jackets, with attacked him.
Ewing ran into his house, undressed, and took a cold bath, police sad then told his wife he thought he was going to faint. Ewing went into a coma and was rushed to Union Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Twenty-two stings were counted on Ewing's body - 10 on one leg and 12 on the oter, according to Deputy Medical engineer, Dr. Jay S. Barnhart. [WORD ILLEGIBLE] that Ewing's wife said she had pulled yellow jackets out of her husbad's hair, nose and ear.
"These are not killer bees." Barnhart said. "The yellow jacket is a species of ground hornet. Ewing must have been highly susceptible to the yellow jacket sting." The doctor said he has seen susceptible people die from just one sting.
Ewing had previously had a severe reaction to a bee sting, according to Barnhart, [WORD ILLEGIBLE] on that occasion was given [WORD ILLEGIBLE]some injection. What Ewing suffered, according to Barnhart was shock caused by wasp venom lowering the bloodpressure.
"Ewing could have been revived if he had been carrying home adrenaline with him," Barnhart said.