A Riverdale man was shot and killed by Fairfax County police early yesterday after he allegedly tried to shoot a police officer who had ordered him to drop officer who had ordered him to drop his gun, police reported.

Police said that Michael Lee Owen, 24, of 4502 Oliver St., was one of three men who allegedly held up a gas station attendant shortly before 3 a.m. The attendant had stopped at a 7-Eleven Store at 3019 Annandale Rd. after closing his nearby service station.

As the attendant, whose name was not disclosed, got out of his car he was approached by a suspect with a gun and told to run, police said. The attendant did as he was told and the three suspects stole his car, which police said contained more than $1,000 in cash in the trunk.

Police said that the attendant then returned to the 7-Eleven and called police.When Officer Bradley G. Doan of the Mason substation arrived at the convenience store he saw the suspects drive by in the car, police said.

According to police, Doane chased the car down Holmes Run Road to the 3100 block, a residential area, and Officer Maurice J. Painter Jr., and Cpl. Colin W. Morgan arrived on the scene. Two of the suspects abandoned the car and fled on foot, police said, but Owen jumped out of the car and aimed a double-barreled shotgun at Painter.

Police said Morgan ordered Owen to drop his gun. When Owen instead aimed it at Painter, police said both Painter and Morgan fired their shotguns and struck Owen.

Owen was taken to Fairfax Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 6:55 a.m., police said. Police reported that the two other suspects were apprehended a short time later in the area of Holmes Run Road and South Street.

Russell Windsor, 18, whose address who not known, was being held at the Fairfax County Jail in lieu of $55,000 bound on armed robbery charges, police reported.

Also being held in lieu of $60,000 bond was Chris Teta, 18, of 6712 Good Luck Rd., Lanham.

A police spokeswoman said that Officers Painter and Morgan were placed on paid administrative leave pending an investigation by the internal affairs division of the Fairfax County Police Department. Such an investigation is routine when an officer fires his weapon, the spokeswoman said.