Dr. William Lipscomb Jamison, 57, the first doctor to perform open-heart surgery at Fairfax Hospital, died Monday of hepatic-renal failure at the Guthrie Clinic of Robert Packer Hospital in Sayer, Pa.
The former head of the cardiovascular surgery unit at Doctors Hospital in Washington, Dr. Jamison was on the medical staff of Prince William County Hospital, Fairfax Hospital and Fauquier Hospital.
Both in Washington, Dr. Jamison attended schools in Mannassas before entering Dartmouth College in 1937. He graduated with an A.B. degree in 1941. He received a medical degree from the University of Virginia Medical School in 1943.
Dr. Jamison then served 22 months as a Navy lieutenant (j.g.) attached to the Marine Corps in the Far East during World War II. He later practiced medicine in Philadelphia and Boston.
In 1955 he became, chief of the division of thracic and cardiovascular surgery at Doctors Hospitals here.
At the same time he was a visiting surgeon at the Guthrie Clinic in Sayer, Pa., where he started a throracic and heart surgery department.
During this period, Dr. Jamison designed and manufactured three heart-lying machines and pioneered techniques in heart and lung grafts.
In 1963, Dr. Jamison established a private practice in Manassas in an office he built himself.
He was a member of many professional organizations, including the American Medical Association, American College of Surgeons, New York Academy of Science; American Turdeau Society; the Fauquier and Prince William County medical societies and was a founding member of the Society of Thoracic Surgery in Dallas.
He is survived by his wife, Thelma, a son, William Charles and a daughter, Alice Marie, all of son, William Charles and a daughter, Alice Marie, all of the home in Manassas.