Byron A. Bledsoe, 65, a retired colonel in the Army Corps of Engineers and a civil engineer who specialized in the manufacture of concrete pipe, died of cancer Sunday at his home in Fredericksburg, Va.
A native of Nashville, Tenn., Mr. Bledsoe graduated from the University of Tennessee in 1933 and spent the next nine years working as a civil engineer at the Army Corps of Engineers' Waterways Experimental Station in Vicksburg, Miss.
Six months after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, Mr. Bledsoe enlisted in the Army. He left active service in October 1946 after four years at the Corps' Atlanta office.
In 1949, with a master's degree in traffic engineering from Yale University, Mr. Bledsoe moved to Alexandria and served as a member of the highway research board of the National Academy of Sciences in Washington.
Three years later he became regional manager of concrete products in Martin-Marietta Company's southeast division. In the early 1960's Mr. Bledsoe became executive vice president of Allied Products Co. in Atlanta.
In 1967, Mr. Bledsoe returned to Alexandria and took over the presidency of Helms Concrete Pipe Co. Seven years later he became vice president of Concrete Pipe and products Co. in Manassas, Va.
Mr. Bledsoe was a number of many organizations, including the Army and Navy Club, the American Society of Civil Engineers, and the Road Gang of Washington. He also was a past member of the board of the Virginia Manufacturers Association and past president and board chairman of the Savation Army in Alexandria.
Surviving are his wife, Lorraine S. of the home; a son, Capt. Craig V. of Sacramento, Calif.; and a brother Henry L. of Nashville.
The family requests that any contributions in Mr. Bledsoe's memory be made to the Salvation Army, 1804 Mt.
Vernon Ave. Alexandria, Va. 22301.