Five area churches that operate under the umbrella of the Emmaus Fellowship have joined together in a city-wide effort called "Bread for the City," a program that supplies food, and clothing, for those in need.
The ecumenical group - whose food collection center is located at 1305 14th St. NW, hours 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. - consists of First Baptist, Foundry Methodist, Luther Place Memorial, Metropolitan AME and National City Christian churches.
"The concern has been to deal with hunger on a local city level, said Lon Chesnutt, minister of the program at Metropolitan Memorial. "The 14th Street location is a distribution point for individuals and families who for reasons of low income or health problems have run out of money and need food."
According to the Rev. John Steinbruck of Luther Place Memorial. "The Bread for the City program began last July, 1976. It was started by the five churches. Each congregation takes a Sunday and asks people to bring food items right to the altar, or other location, as part of the offering. Food is then taken to the 14th Street location by volunteers."
The collection point is one of many located throughout the city, according to the Rev. John Mudd, chairperson of the Hunger Task Force for the Inter-faith Committee of Greater Washington.
The task force on hunger is attempting to bring together institutions and individuals in the area who are dealing with the hunger problem.
Other agencies involved in the hunger program are Bread for the World, Project Survival, Zacchaeus Soup Kitchen/medical clinic, SOME (So Others May Eat), and others.