Charles Stofberg, 65, who was spokesman for the District Commissioners during the 1940s, died of cancer Sunday at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore.

Officially, he was special assistant to the late John Russel Young, chairman of the Board of District Commissioners and was know as "Young's Man Friday."

But Mr. Stofberg also handled public relations for the other two commissioners, one of whom was a civilian like Young, and other an Army Engineer Corps officer on assignment to the District government.

There were several other commissioners during Young's tenure.

Mr.s Stofberg's main job was to be keep the public off the necks of the bosses, particularly Young, without causing political repercussions or making enemies among the monpolitical but important and usually very vocal man-in-the-street.

This was long before the city had home rule and a mayor, when the District government's every move was dictated by Congress.

A handsome affable man, Mr. Stofberg handled senators and congressmen with aplomb. He even managed to keep members of the press happy. So successful was he that Young often said of him:

"Charlie always sends 'em away smiling."

Mr. Stofberg had first-hand experience as a member of the press. He had been reporter for The Washington Post before working at the District Building.

Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of Baltimore City College and attended Washington College in Chestertown. He then earned bachelor's and master's degree in education from George Washington University.

He taught briefly at Central High School and was holding a summer job with the Associated press when he came to the attention of the late John J. W. Riseling, then city editor of The Post.

Mr. Riseling Hired Mr. Stofberg who became a cub reporter at police headquarters. From there, he moved on to cover the old District Supreme Court and the board of education before he got the coverted job of covering the District Building.

In 1941, when the District's World War II rent control law went into effect, Mr. Stofberg was offered the job of public relations officer. He took it, and a year later became special assistant to Young.

In 1951, he resigned his District government job to return to Baltimore and enter the family business, the Stofberg Furniture Co. He remained in that position until his death.

He is survived by his wife, Anne, of the home in Baltimore; two daughters, Helaine N. Moreno, of Potomac, and Jane Kagel, of Minneapolis; two brothers, Jack and Robert, and a sister, Ida Gordon, all of Baltimore; another sister, Essie Elkins, of Illinois, and five grandchildren.

The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the American Cancer Society.