A D.C. Superior Court jury yesterday found Yvonne Wood Adams, 41, innocent by reason of insanity of killing her 14-year-old adopted daughter in July, 1976.

After the first session of the two-part trial before Judge H. Carl Moultrie, Adams was found guilty last Thursday of second-degree murder by the same jury of 10 men and two women.

The jury deliberated for about five hours before returning yesterday's verdict in the second portion of the trial. This was devoted exclusively of the insanity question.

Adams was charged with shooting her daughter, Alice, in the head with a .32-caliber pistol the afternoon of July 15, 1976, eight days after she had returned to the family's two-story row house at 1820 H St. NE from a foster shelter in Northwest.

The child had been placed in the shelter after Superior Court Judge John D. Fauntleroy ordered her out of Adam's custody March 18, 1976. James A. Risley, a social worker with the Department of Human Resources, tesitified at the trial that Adams had tried to get the child placed in an institution two months earlier.

Alice, who was raised by Adams from infancy, left the shelter July 7. About the same time, Risley had told Adams that her daughter was three months pregnant and wanted an abortion.

According to Assistant U.S. Attorney John Kern, who prosecuted the case, Adams opposed an abortion. But Kern added that "things have gone on over a long period of time, the kid was taken away, she got pregnant, but you couldn't put your finger on any one thing."

Defense attorney Frederick J. Sullivan put three pyschiatrists on the witness stand, two from the forensic psychiatry division of Superior Court and one from St. Elizabeths Hospital. All testified that Adams was paranoid and schizophrenic at the time of the crime and had been for some time, and thus was not responsible for her acts.

Kern said he put on relatives who testified there was nothing wrong with Adams, who for 27 years was a ward attendant at St. Elizabeths and who was found competent to stand trial in October, and who testified that the defendant was "manipulative."

Adams was ordered to St. Elizabeths for observation. On Nov. 11 a hearing is scheduled before Judge Moultrie to determine whether she is dangerous to herself or to the community.

The judge then may release her conditionally or unconditionally or order here committed to St. Elizabeths.