Robert L.S. Bickford, a real estate salesman and former newspaperman, died Sept. 16 of cancer at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring. He was 64.
Mr. Bickford was executive director of the American Association of Doctors' Nurses, a nonprofit social and educational club, and president of Bickford Press.
A native of Gouverneur, N.Y., Mr. Bickford graduated from Georgia Military Academy and the University of North Carolina. He also attended the University of Georgia evening college and the Woodrow Wilson College of Law in Atlanta.
After law school, Mr. Bickford owned and published weekly newspapers in Fort Gaines, Ga., and in LUverne and Brundidge, Ala. In 1953, he moved to Marianna, Fla., where he edited and published The Advocate, a weekly newspaper. Mr. Bickford moved to the Washington area in 1959.
An active member of the Lions Club, Mr. Bickford was secretary of the North Washington Lions Club from 1965 to 1973, and served as its president in 1975-76.
Mr. Bickford had also been a member of the board of directors of the Jackson County, Fla., chapter of the American Society of Association Executives, Washington Trade Association, and secretary for the local chapter of Sigma Delta Kappa law fraternity.
According to his wishes, Mr. Bickford's eyes were donated to the Lions Eye Bank and his body to the George Washington University School of Medicine for research.
He is survived by his wife, Evelyn, of Silver Spring; two sons, Robert Lucas of Camp Springs, and Robert Leon, of Tampa, Fla.; his mother, Frances Lathrop, of Lake Worth, Fla., and a granddaughter.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to District 22-C Lions Eye Bank and Research Foundation.