Edgar J. Gealy, 86, a retired federal industrial engineer, died Sept. 21, at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda after a stroke.
He joined the War Production Board in Washington in 1941, and was assigned to allocate electrical equipment. A year later, the WPB sent him to Provo, Utah, as control engineer of a plant providing steel for ships.
In 1944, Mr. Gealy developed a program to give concentrated engineering training in this country to European and Asian students.
After the war, he became head industrial engineer of the Foreign Economic Administration. He was sent to Europe as industrial adivsers to top officers of occupation forces there.
Before his retirement here in 1956, Mr. Gealy had traveled widely in Europe and Asia, surveying the postwar industrial needs of various countries and advising them on educational facilities.
Born in Scranton, Pa., Mr. Gealy was a graduate of Pennsylvania State College in 1917. He later was director of the college's engineering extension school at Wilkes-Barre.
He also worked for private industry in Pennyslvania before coming here with the WPB.
He was a life member of the Masons.
He is survived by his wife, Jeanne C., of the home in Bethesda, and a son, Edgar John, of Potomac.