Frances Clements Robinson, 69, a former director of training for the Women's Army Corps and then a buyer for the old Farnsworth-Reed, Ltd., specialty shops in the Washington area, died at Mount Vernon Hospital in Alexandria Sunday after a heart attack.
Mrs. Robinson joined the Women's Army Corps when it first was formed in World War II. She rose to the rank of major, and traveled widely with Oveta Culp Hobby, director of the WAC. She then was named director of training for the WAC and held that position until the late 1940s, when she left the Army.
By then, she had married S. Manford Robinson, who founded farnsworth-Reed, Ltd., in 1938. Customers of the shops included John F. Kennedy and J. Edgar Hoover. Mrs. Robinson was a buyer for the chain until her husband sold the business in 1969.
Following her military service, Mrs. Robinson received an honorary doctor of laws degree from Washington College in Chesterdown, Md. Eleanor Roosevelt received the same degree at the same time. Both were honored for services to womankind.
Mrs. Robinson was born in Chestertown and graduated from Washington College. She earned a master's degree in education at Columnia University, and taught in delaware before coming to Washington during World War II.
Survivors include her husband, of the home in Alexandria; a brother, Alday M. Clements, of Chestertown, and a daughter, Mrs. Marvin Gross, of North Hallandale, Fla.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the National Mutiple Sclerosis Fund, 1200 15th St. NW, Washington.