Lloyd Bennett Wilson, 94, a former president and board chairman of the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co., died of pneumonia Wednesday at the Carriage Hill Nursing Home in Silver Spring.
Mr. Wilson was president of C&P from 1929 to 1945 and then served as chairman of its board of directors until his retirement in 1947. He also was a civic leader whose activities included the executive vice chairmanship of the American National Red Cross for a year during World War II, the chairmanship of the finance committee for President Franklin D. Roosevelt's first inauguaration, and the chairmanship of the Washington Cathedral Finance Committee.
In addition, he was a trustee of George Washington University and of the National Georgraphic Society. He was a member of the board of the Community Chest and a director of the D.C. Chapter of the American Red Cross. He was a director of the Board of Trade and of several businesses.
Mr. Wilson was born in Plattsmouth, Neb. He graduated from high school there in 1900. By then he already had become a night operator for the Northwestern Bell Telephone Co.
He worked for Northwestern Bell in Nebraska and in Minnesota until 1925, when he joined the American Telephone and Telegraph Co. as a commercial engineer. He moved to Washington when he became the head of C&P.
Following his retirement in 1947, Mr. Wilson lived at Bluemont and Paeonian Springs, Va. In 1971, he moved to the Carriage House Nursing Home.
He was a member of the Chevy Chase Club, the Metropolitan Club, the Alibi Club, the Alfalfa Club, of which he was a past president, the Rotary Club, and the Newcomer Society.
He was a member of vestryman of St. Albans Church in Washington and a member of St. James Episcopal Church in Leesburg, Va.
Survivors include a son, Lloyd B. Wilson Jr., of Chevy Chase; two daugthers, Silence W. Michelet, of Frederick, Md., and Martha W. Triplett, of Chevy Chase, nine grandchildren, and nine great grandchildren.