Herman J. (Phil) Phillips, 65, associated with the food industry for many years, died Sunday at Mount Vernon Hospital after a heart attack.
His last position before retiring about three years ago had been in sales with Sam Mirman, Inc., wholesale meat dealers.
Mr. Phillips was born in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. He served in the U.S. Army from 1928 until 1934, when he came to the Washington area and worked as a meatcutter and butcher for a number of chain food stores.
After the outbreak of World War II he re-enlisted in the Army. He served in the Pacific and was discharged at the end of the war discharged at the end of the war with the rank of technical sergeant.
He then returned to the Washington area and worked for chain food stores. He eventually became a manager of the former District Grocery Stores warehouse.
Mr. Phillips was a member of the Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butchers Workmen.
A 32d degree Mason, he was a member of the Shrine. He belonged to Naval Lodge No. 4, Triangle Royal Arch Chapter No. 73. Old Dominion Commandery No. 11, Knights Templar, Kena Temple and Martha Washington Chapter No. 42 of the Eastern Star.
He is survived by his wife, A. Lyree Phillips, of the home in Alexandria; two sisters. Dorothy Percosky, of Alexandria and Marguerite Wisner, of Laurel, and four stepchildren, Joan Ann Miller, of Alexandria, Carol Elaine Sprague, of Sulphur Springs, Tex., and Ernest T. Magruder and Glenn E. Magruder, both of Oxon Hill.