Corbin Allardice, 57, former staff director of the Congressional Joint Committee on Atomic Energy and author of a book on the Atomic Energy Commission, died Sunday at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Martinsburg, W.Va. The immediate cause of death was pneumonia.

Mr. Allardice, whose home was in Alexandria, had been a patient at the hospital since 1971. He had been stricken in 1961 with a rare form of viral encephalitis that left him a quadriplegic.

Although totally paralyzed, Mr. Allardice learned after a long period of training at the New York Institute of Physical Medicine to use an electric typewriter with his arm supported at the elbow.

Using only the staff middle finger of his left hand he could strike five to seven keys a minute.

In this manner, working partly at home and partly during maintenance therapy periods in the hospital, he wrote the volume on the Atomic Energy Commission published in 1973 by Praeger as part of a series of books on government agencies.

The book was edited for publication by Edward R. Trapnell, who was coauthor.

Mr. Allardice was born in Binghamton, N.Y. and graduated from Seton Hall University in South Orange N.J. in 1942 with a degree in mathematics. He served before graduation in the identification division of the FBI here, and served on active duty with the Coast Guard in a variety of assignments during World War II.

He joined the Washington staff of the Manhattan Project, which built the atom bomb, in 1946, and later was transferred to the Atomic Energy Commission.

In 1946, Mr. Allardice interviewed 35 of the 42 scientists and technicians who were working at the University of Chicago under Enrio Fermi and who were [WORD ILLEGIBLE] on Dec. 3, 1942, when the first eslf-sustaining nuclear reaction was initiated and controlled. Mr. Allardice's interviews provided the material for the first official War Department report of the historic experiment.

As staff director of the Joint Committee on Atomic Energy from 1953 to 1955, he was credited with the largest single contribution to the drafting and passage of the Cole-Hickenlooper Act of 1954. The act opened the field of nuclear power, which had been a government monopoly, to international cooperation and to industrial participation.

After leaving the commission he became Atomic Energy adviser to the World Bank and later joined the bank's bond marketing organization in New York.

While with the bank, he was decorated by the Italian government for his work on the first nuclear power plant built in Italy, which was financed by the bank.

In addition to his wife, Kathleen, survivors include three sons, David G., Bruce B. and Phillip C., and a granddaughter, all of Alexandria.