Alger Y. Barbee, 64, a Rockville trial lawyer who had served as state's attorney of Montgomery County and a member of the Maryland House of Delegates, died Thursday at Holy Cross Hospital. He had suffered from pneumonia.

Mr. Barbee began his public career as assistant state's attorney of Montgomery County. After serving with the Coast Guard during World War II, he returned to Montgomery County and became a trial magistrate of the Rockville Police Court from 1947 to 1951.

He was elected state's attorney in 1954, and a delegate to the General Assembly in 1958. A Democrat he served in the House of Delegates through 1962.

As a member of the House Alcoholic Beverage Committee, he sought the relaxation of state liquor controls, especially for the right of motels and veterans' and fraternal organizations to serve liquor by the drink.

Mr. Barbee said he felt that integration was "going forward" in Maryland and opposed a bill before the House in 1961 that would have barred segregation in Maryland hotels and restaurants. He said that court decisions had upheld "the absolute right of proprietors to deal with anyone they please." He claimed that the legislation would violate the rights of these proprietors.

In 1962 he sought a seat in the state Senate but was defeated by Margaret Schweinhaut.

In 1965, Mr. Barbee was appointed Circuit Court judge in Montgomery County by then Gov. J. Millard Tawes, who later rescinded the appointment. Mr. Barbee said the action taken was caused by a newspaper account of a car accident in which he had been involved.

Joesph M. Mathias, of Silver Spring, was named to the judgeship.

A life-long resident of Montgomery County, Mr. Barbee was living in Silver Spring at the time of his death. He was a graduate of National University Law School in Washington.

Mr. Barbee was president of the Montgomery County Bar Association from 1958 to 1959, was a founder and past commander of the Silver Spring post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and was a member of Grace Episcopal Church in Silver Spring.

There are no immediate survivors.

It is suggested that expressions of sympathy may be made in the form of contributions to Grace Episcopal Church.